Featured Souvenir Cameo Set Questions

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Marko, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I know this isn't a quality set, but for the price, I snapped it up. I do love the colors of the black mother of pearl and the way the metal trim sparkles.

I think it is just a base metal setting due to some verdigris. What base metals did they use? Does anyone know what the marks on the jewelry would indicate? Anyone recognize a manufacturer? Cameo Set 1 box (640x588).jpg
    There is a different mark on the clasp than the rest of the jewelry.
    How would you go about removing the verdigris without damaging any of the shell? Cameo Set 5 plate (640x465).jpg Luckily, it is not close to any of the stones, I don't want to dissolve the cameo shells. And time period? The metal is lightweight. Thanks.
    Cameo Set 3 bracelet back (640x214).jpg
    Cameo Set 4 mark clsoe (617x640).jpg
    Cameo Set 2 clasp (458x640).jpg
    Cameo Set 7 Verdigris (449x640).jpg
    Cameo Set 8 mark 2 (640x360).jpg

KSW, patd8643, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Marko,
    Try vinegar and a Q-tip.

greg

KSW, Bronwen, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

They look like '800' silver marks to me - verdigris can form on silver objects, it's usually alloyed with copper...

~Cheryl

KSW, Bronwen, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

snap up all day long................nice find !!!!! :happy::happy::happy::happy:

Bronwen likes this.
  5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

But be careful not touching the mother of pearl!:nailbiting:

KSW, Bronwen, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Acetic acid dissolves calcium carbonate. In other words, vinegar is not good for nacre. Plain water & a toothbrush may remove the worst if there's really an incrustation. In the one photo, looks as though the verdigris is on the twisted wire decoration, not on the main body of the mount, so think any other occurrences will be limited.

As already noted, marked for 800 silver. I don't know the additional mark ahead of it. CG? Afraid the crescent shaped mark doesn't ring any bells either. There are many cameo manufacturers in Naples.

No, but at least it's an intact parure & will be very pretty on; the MOP has nice color.

'Cameos Factory' may well be the name of the maker.

KSW, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

You can sit some ketchup on the green parts but keep it off of the shell. Wipe with a damp cloth. It's an old costume jewelry trick.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

On the subject of cleaning cameos, I found a tiny but very dirty helmet shell cameo in a box which housed an Art Deco brooch.:jawdrop: It is about the size of a little finger nail.
    I soaked it in soapy water for about half an hour, but there is still some gunk left in the curly hair. I tried to get it out with one of those rubbery toothpicks, but that was too big.
    Can I soak it longer, and if so, how long for? Anything else I can do?
    I am sure you can advise me perfectly.:)

KSW, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  9. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I didn't think of soaking it. I read somewhere that one should try to dry brush as much verdigris off as possible. When I have used ketchup to remove verdigris, I get a reddish tinted left on metals. I have used vinegar, but never tried fresh lemon juice. I will dry brush it, brush with Dawn and water, and use lemon juice sparingly to remove any leftover verdigris. I paid $29 for the set, which I thought was a bargain even with issues. Thanks for all of your great suggestions.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Figtree3, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Bronwen

Many times I have soaked a piece, applied a soft toothbrush, found some gunk clinging in crevices, so back in the soapy water, brushing, still some deep dark places, so... It's a seashell; it doesn't mind water. Sometimes you have to work the grime off in layers. Soaking overnight does no harm when there's no mount to worry about. I only give it a try after as little as 1/2 hour if I'm too impatient to see how a piece really looks to wait longer. Shell is amazingly grabby for grunge. You can clean hardstone spit spot; shell frequently takes more coaxing to reveal itself if it's very dirty.

Figtree3, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Bronwen

Sounds like a good, conservative approach. Think Hippocrates: first, do no harm. A major thing will be to make sure it is not closed up while there is still any dampness left anywhere.

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Thanks, Bronwen.:kiss: Back in the bath she goes.

She is a 'working title', I can't really tell if it is a she or a he. Short curly hair, one bare shoulder. The face is nicely detailed for such a tiny little thing though.

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  13. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:cyclops::snaphappy::arghh::arghh::arghh::cyclops::hungry::cyclops::peeking:;)

Figtree3, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Uhm, I thought her a bit humble for a pic.:shame::shy:

Bronwen likes this.
  15. Bronwen

Almost certainly male.

Draft saved Draft deleted