Featured Souvenir fan menus from Admiral's Sayonara Party - need some help w/ stuff written on both.

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by bercrystal, Aug 4, 2017.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I have these 2 souvenir fans that had the menu for the evening written on the back. I have not been able to determine for sure who the party's guest of honor was since no ones tenure ended in 1966. However one possibility would be it was a party to honor Admiral Chester W. Nimitz who dies in February of 1966. :confused::confused::confused:

My main request is for help in translating the stuff written on the decorative side of the fan. I have determined that Fumiko Torii was a Japanese author of some note who died in 2015. The portion to the left that is directly above the design is exactly the same on both fans. However the writing at the top is different with the only thing I could make out is "Fumiko" on both fans.

Hopefully someone can help me in the translation of the written as well as the printed areas. :happy::happy::happy:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. bercrystal

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

That is Admiral's logo as it has been for decades though.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. bercrystal

It does resemble the logo without the crown symbol above the "M". :confused::confused:

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The ADMIRAL logo. As seen in a 1964 ad.

Debora

ADMIRAL.jpg

7. bercrystal

Okay I will concede, but why a "Sayonara Party" at the Tokyo Hilton Hotel??? :confused::confused::confused:

As far as I have been able to find they did not have a manufacturing presence there & they did not sell out there television division to a Japanese company till the 1970's.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The American GM was probably returning to the States.

Debora

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Or, could have been New Year's Eve. Nix that. Browsing old copies of TOKYO WEEKENDER, the expat publication, "sayonara" parties were for leave-takings.

Debora

10. bercrystal

I bought these from a local woman several years ago along with the Japanese attire they wore to the party. They got packed up before we moved & now some 4+ years later they have finally been unearthed. I did not even notice what was written at the top until I was taking the photos. :oops::oops::oops:

The problem is I have no idea how to get in touch with her or if she is even still alive. :(:(

Debora - thank you so much for helping me with the reason for the party!! :happy::happy:

Hopefully someone will come along who can read Japanese & clue me in to what the written portion is all about.

11. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

When a large company is expanding to (or considering expanding to) a foreign country they have "front men" on the ground in that country for years (however many years it takes to grease wheels, locate property for a plant or plants, satisfy themselves and the company that the native workforce is capable, willing, and eager for that particular company to be in their country, etc.).

Added by my DH from personal (work) experience: "Also, at that time it was very difficult for foreign companies to set up their own subsidiaries in Japan. Most outsiders had to set up long-term contract relationships with Japanese trading companies, and this dinner may have celebrated the final agreement between the negotiating teams on both sides after a long period of discussions."

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  12. bercrystal

Thank you for the additional information. I absolutely never even thought in the direction that these pieces have taken. :oops::oops:

That is why it is so wonderful to have a place where you can go to ask for help such as what we have here in this forum. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I've been wondering why the well-known author Fumiko Torii would have been at a dinner like that? Or maybe somebody asked her to sign it later?

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If we assume that there was only one Fumiko Torii in Japan at the time. By way, I'm unable to locate information about a writer of that name on the internet. Would someone be kind enough to direct me on? (Personally, I was assuming that Fumiko Torii was the name of the featured entertainer or perhaps a geisha.)

Debora

Tokyo Hilton.jpg

15. bercrystal

16. bercrystal

I was wondering the exact same thing. If it had been for a military person, I could see some "celebrities" being invited, but with this type of dinner you would think it would have just been those involved with the 2 companies. :confused::confused:

17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Good point about the name. It seems common. I had seen some of the references that Peggy just posted but did not check any dates to see if it was a person who would have been active in the 1960s.

The entertainer idea seems good. Still haven't found anything, though.

18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Pink Pearl Ballroom 1966.

Debora

1966.0630.japan3.beatles.jpg

19. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Back "when" it would be conventional to have entertainment at this type of dinner, usually something "traditional" (but touristy) from the host country and something "traditional" from the visiting country. Trust me, you haven't been "entertained" until you have attended a banquet that featured a mass of alluringly dressed, exotic belly dancers followed by a couple in "traditional" Dutch garb clogging all over a wooden stage..................then you exchange "gifts"................a wonderfully worked Moroccan leather saddle against a basket of Gouda, chocolates and jenever....................yeah, gin for the Muslims.....sheesh............

20. bercrystal

I found all manner of references to this even during one of my searches. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I guess she could have been part of the "entertainment", but an author would not be what I would expect. :confused::confused::confused:

I may put another post in the antiques category asking for translation help. Whatever is written there may give us a clue. :happy::happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted