Soviet painting. Need help reading artist name.

Discussion in 'Art' started by OakandThistle, Mar 29, 2021.

1. OakandThistle

OakandThistle Member

I bought this painting on eBay several years ago. Seller only said by a Soviet artist. Maybe someone can read the name for me. It is painted on something between artist board and cardboard. Stamp on back is from Soviet Union. Signed and dated lower right and on the back. Dated 1973, but what is the character following the date? Not certain of the media - acrylic? Painting is 80 x 50 cm. Do you think I should keep it in its very basic original frame or update the frame for a nicer presentation? Not concerned that it is an unimportant painting - I just like it. Any assistance in reading label and signature is appreciated. Thank you. 1A91A9D9-BD18-4E99-B477-2534EDE58C49.jpeg 910CACA1-3727-40AC-96A8-1D5A39336DF9.jpeg 2BEE4185-0611-4E27-A62C-E7D2C0D6B124.jpeg 9172787C-8F95-4C8E-BB69-93301574A709.jpeg

judy likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

judy and i need help like this.
  3. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

Ворошилов 1973.
    Voroshylov 1973
    The stamp is for the carton factory

4. April07

It's oil. Looks quite nonconformist
    UPD. The artist is Igor Voroshylov, he is from Moscow, he took part in some important unofficial art exhibitions in the 1970s-80s.
    If you see paintings from the USSR from those years and painted in that style, it's most probable they are not unimportant, this is so-called unofficial or nonconformist art, which is quite valued at the auctions.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    judy, Any Jewelry, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  5. OakandThistle

OakandThistle Member

Thank you so much for the info. When you say “carton factory” does that mean it is was not originally intended as an artist board?

judy likes this.
  6. April07

It was! According to the stamp, it was sold as Finnish carton, primed with ochre primer. This was a factory that supplied USSR Art Fund.

judy, Any Jewelry and Figtree3 like this.
  7. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Quoted from Mutual Art. Spelled a little different too.

Igor Voroshilov was a Russian Postwar & Contemporary artist who was born in 1939. Igor Voroshilov's work has been offered at auction multiple times, with realized prices ranging from $500 USD to $875 USD, depending on the size and medium of the artwork. Since 2015

Figtree3, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. OakandThistle

OakandThistle Member

Thank you.

judy, komokwa and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  9. April07

y and i are usually interchangeable in transliteration, so it's good to search for both

Here is a wikipedia entry for his biography (in Russian)
    https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ворошилов,_Игорь_Васильевич

Here you can see examples of his other sold works in 2014, on Russian auctions
    https://artinvestment.ru/invest/ideas/20140819_voroshilov.html
    First one - $ 1730 (approximately, converted from rubles according to the rate of rubles in 2014)
    Second - $1370
    Third - $5200

The article also says his most expensive work was sold in 2007 for $5600

The problem for this artist is that there hasn't been a comprehensive exhibition of his work since 1990. If it happens, the prices will go up.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  10. OakandThistle

OakandThistle Member

Wow! Thank you for all of this. I used google translate to read his biography. Great tool. Never thought I’d get so much info. Thanks to you and the rest of the group.
    Update: I just read the wonderful article you provided on
    Igor, his art and its potential. I can’t thank you enough for leading me to it. Being in Russian I never would have found it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    judy, Any Jewelry and April07 like this.
  11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

cheap rip-off of Hans Erni. I wouldn't spend dime.

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
  12. OakandThistle

OakandThistle Member

Interesting perspective!

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Frankly I don't see the resemblance, other than that both painted in a style of a certain period. Many did, but that doesn't mean their work has anything to do with rip-offs, cheap or otherwise.
    Hans Erni's work is much more boisterous, could even be called baroque (with a small b ;)) and sometimes intentionally grotesque.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    916Bulldogs123 and judy like this.
  14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

that's only the perspective of a guy who was brought up with originals by him with signed dedications.
    Erni was age 30 when this Igor saw the light of the earth; 1938 he was part of the team that drew the series of Swiss banknotes.
    when this Igor sadly died in 1989 and became interesting to dealers in the west - also due to the political situation in the USSR - for making a fast $, Erni was steadily working on till 2015.
    same game now with Chinese artists since a few decades after Uli Sigg and others started to collect them; Sigg also opened a museum in Kowloon with 1400 works of art.

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
  15. April07

I don't think he knew about or was interested in Erni in 1973. The Soviet Union was quite closed back then, the détente started in 1972.
    Also, each art has to be read in its own context, the Soviet one is far more interesting, politically.

OakandThistle and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. OakandThistle

OakandThistle Member

Hmm ... not sure how all this pertains to my original question, but I have now learned who Hans Erni was. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    April07 and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

in 1944 Erni was under heavy critique due to a poster...
    [​IMG]
    Nikita Khrushchev received a copy in 1953 from a Swiss delegation...
    [​IMG]

it would have been interesting to follow Voroshylov's way after 1991.

18. OakandThistle

OakandThistle Member

I bought a painting I like and in trying to find the name of the artist this board provided some excellent leads and information. It turns out the artist has an interesting backstory and in some circles his art is appreciated. That is sufficient for me. Thanks to everyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted