Spanish Caravaggist (?)

Discussion in 'Art' started by federico manfredi, Apr 23, 2019.

1. federico manfredi

federico manfredi New Member

Hello everybody,
    I would like to ask if someone can find similarities with any artist / works. To me it seems quite unique and I can't say much more.
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Happy to take a look, but could you also post the entire piece (front and back) including the frame?

Any idea on the medium?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Jivvy

4. federico manfredi

federico manfredi New Member

Dawnno likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Beyond similarities of style with Caravaggio...? Why do you think it's Spanish, by way? (I ask because the painting is located in Milan.) Here's a list of Caravaggisti if you're interested in (an informal) attribution but suspect seller of $8,000 painting would have done his best with that before offering for sale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caravaggisti#Spanish

Debora

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I see the stylistic resemblance to Caravaggio:

[​IMG]

https://www.art.com/products/p48116...s-1604-5.htm?upi=Q19OJ8W0&PODConfigID=4986478

Have doubts it is meant to be John the Baptist, who was never a shepherd. He only appears with a sheep symbolically: a lamb that represents the Agnus Dei, the Lamb of God.

St John the Baptist 1.JPG

There is something amusing about the Lamb of God wandering around browsing while John sleeps.

It could be some other famous sleeping shepherd, such as Endymion:

[​IMG]

Jivvy, kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm going to (respectfully) disagree. Don't see why it couldn't be St. John the Baptist. (This is he by the Spanish painter Juan de Juanes.)

Debora

San_Juan_Bautista_por_Joan_de_Joanes.jpg

8. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

Maybe Spanish b/c it has El Greco tendencies in my eyes. very minor ones.
    upload_2019-4-23_10-23-38.png
    Capture.GIF
    (I always thought that was ironic: The Greek is known as Spanish. Now Italian?)

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  9. Jivvy

I also think it's John the Baptist -- mostly because of the reed cross (assumption that it's a cross, granted).

EDIT: Plus, I think the "lamb" may be a "ram" and Caravaggio did include a ram with John the Baptist.

10. Bronwen

A haloed man in tattered clothes, holding a walking staff, with a haloed (cruciform because it represents Jesus) lamb looking up to him, is a different proposition from a man with no indicators of sainthood and a full grown sheep browsing behind him. The Lamb of God, being a metaphor, is not known for its appetite.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Christmasjoy and Dawnno like this.
  11. Bronwen

I would point out that the sleeping man under discussion is young, clean, well-fed & handsome. Not the gaunt, ragged man who has been wandering in the desert.

Where's this?

Jivvy and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

El Greco was a painter in the Late Renaissance, a period called "Mannerism." The style originated in Italy and spread.

Debora

13. Bronwen

The ovine creature in OP's painting of interest is pretty clearly a ewe, another thing that argues against John.

Jivvy and Christmasjoy like this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

St. John was depicted with a lamb at all stages of his life. Here he is with Jesus as an infant.

Debora

InfantJesus_JohnBaptist.jpg

Jivvy, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And speaking of El Greco... Here is his treatment of the same subject (St. John.)

Debora

th.jpg

Jivvy and Bronwen like this.
  16. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

okay, so what's the fountain/water allegory? more clue.
    I'm outta my league here. The stream is 'so straight' (not natural at all) as if shot out of a squirt gun into a small pool. What's that mean? Is it even a stream, or a stick?

Jivvy and Bronwen like this.
  17. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

caravaggio and el greco lived at the same time, both dieing in the 1610s. Don't see how a later piece (presumably if it's a caravaggist of the 17th C as the piece alleges) can't be influenced by both.

Bronwen likes this.
  18. Jivvy

IMO, Caravagio's John isn't gaunt or ragged at all.

Not sure if you're asking about Caravagio's ram or why I think the OPs may be intended to be a ram. Caravagio's John with a ram:

temp02.jpg

I think the following is meant to be a horn. But now that I google breeds, some ewes do have horns, so I don't know.

PS: I'm not meaning to say it's an effective depiction of a horn.

temp01.jpg

I do still think it's meant to represent John the Baptist.

19. Bronwen

This one hits many of the conventions for depicting John the Baptist: pilgrim's staff with crosspiece lashed on to make a cross; a little banner on it with Ecce Agnus Dei, Behold the Lamb of God; as a child sharing a childhood with Jesus; drinking from the scallop shell of a pilgrim:

[​IMG]

Jivvy likes this.
  20. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

"I do still think it's meant to represent John the Baptist."

I'm going out on a lamb here, but ewe never know b/c I sure ram confused.

Draft saved Draft deleted