Spatter Glass Vase Marked ID Help

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Suzy60us, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Suzy60us

Suzy60us Well-Known Member

DSC04230.JPG DSC04228.JPG DSC04226.JPG This red and black spatter vase is 7.75" high, 3" diameter. The pontil has what I think is an etched signature, which I cannot make out. Any ideas?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Figtree3 and judy like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Try rubbing with cornstarch or cinnamon to see if any letters stand out.

judy and i need help like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think that's a bad pontil finish rather than a mark.

aaroncab and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  4. Suzy60us

Thank you for your comments. Corn Starch did not help. Owned confirmed my suspicions. When I flipped it in the resale store, I thought the pontil mark was very different. Maybe I look to hard for marks?

5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Different lighting situations can make pontils/marks/scratches look very different. You're not looking too hard, some of them are very hard to find!

6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Maybe it's me but it looks like a signature was deliberately obliterated. I would guess Czech but I don't have anything to back that up and I have no idea why someone would want a Czech marked removed.
    Don

anundverkaufen likes this.
  7. Suzy60us

Don I think you might be correct. This is what I see. A pontil mark that is somewhat oval with frosting around it (from acid I am assuming) with partial writing around the frosted area. I hope this makes sense.
    Sue

dgbjwc likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I don't think that's a Czech spatter. It's more like Vasart, Monart or some modern makers.

desperate_fun and dgbjwc like this.
  9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Don,
    My one grandmother took all of her marked made in Japan pieces and scratched out the Japan. The pieces she could not cover up went into the trash. This was right after the bombing of Pearl Harbor.
    greg

Draft saved Draft deleted