Featured Speaking of Batik... Where’s this from?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by anundverkaufen, Oct 9, 2018.

1. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

This is something I haven’t seen before, found at $avers for $10.
    The side panel designs are woven and the central panel is batik on heavy woven fabric. It’s large @ about 8’ x 4’.
    I’ve added front and back photos of one face on one of the woven panels and a close up of the batiked panel. Anyone know where it’s from?
    D5ECED1B-FB26-4FE8-9F22-FCF220ABA8E0.jpeg
    244309C7-FE4D-44B1-9CB6-C5D5EFC12476.jpeg
    FF1CA07A-AF37-420C-ABA9-87240B7874D7.jpeg
    323824AF-C384-41A5-B01E-4B1D19A29980.jpeg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ikat, not batik.

Debora

3. anundverkaufen

Excellent, thank you!

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And it's likely from Indonesia.

Debora

5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful!
    Yes, it is.
    The central panel is ikat, warp ikat to be precise, the warp threads are dyed before weaving.
    The pattern of the side panels is made using supplementary warp threads. Like brocade except there the pattern is created with the weft threads. I don't remember the name.:(

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  8. anundverkaufen

Thank You 2manybooks!

Many Thanks AJ!

I've been reading lots about the technique and the significance of the patterns and the areas where Ikat was practiced, a bit confusing mostly because the internet is so convoluted with misguided information it can be exhausting weeding out the good stuff.
    So thanks for the good direction from all of you!

I'll try to get a photo of the good side and post it just so you all can see how amazing it really is, the photo I posted in haste is of what I think would be considered the back side.

9. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I love the weaving, and I love all the information given by all .. I know so little about these beautiful items but I'm learning, Thanks .. Joy.

Draft saved Draft deleted