Featured Spiergle Speculaas large wooden double sided cookie mold.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bercrystal, Aug 19, 2018.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I picked this up at the auction. It is 13 1/2" by 7 1/2" by 5/8" & weighs 3 pounds all by itself.

I found another one on-line but they didn't say too much in the description. How old do you think it might be & am I using the correct name for the cookies?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all opinions or advice!! :kiss::kiss::kiss:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

awful big for a cookie...........unless yer a cookie................MONSTER !!!!:hilarious:

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is an antique mold, I would say 19th century. I don't know the word Spiergle, sounds like a German dialect word.
    It could be for speculaas, family size. But it could also be for what we call taaitaai or a taaitaaipop in Dutch.
    Taaitaai is like gingerbread. Taaitaaipoppen are mostly made around st. Nicholas, in december. They are always big and often sold separately:
    [​IMG]
    The word taai means tough. It is pronounced a bit like tie. Gingerbread is not crunchy like speculaas, but has a slightly flexible, tougher texture. So it is tough-tough gingerbread, or taaitaai.;)
    It tastes slightly different from gingerbread because it has more of the usual Dutch (Indonesian) spices added to the mixture.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Spiergle doesn't make sense. where does that word come from ?

Christmasjoy, i need help and judy like this.
  5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

That is cool. I think it is a cookie biscuit mold as well. I saw some on eboo and they don't have them double sided like yours. I imagine it would also be a nice wall decoration as well. Great prop for a baker or bakery if not used.

It looks like many are German made from what I see of the current listings.

BTW- cookies can never be too big. LOL:p

6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Could be for a large Lebkuchen, that is closer to speculaas than to taaitaai. Most are much smaller though.
    An aha-moment. Similar German cookies are Springerle, is that what you meant Peggy?

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

9. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I stumbled onto this. Interesting read, don’t know if helpful though. The face of your cat looks like the lion man here (a bit down the page) But just the face, he’s supposed to be holding an apple. Maybe this was a piece made after?
    Deleted link

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Christmasjoy and sabre123 like this.
  12. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I know that some of you must watch The Great British Baking Show/Great British Bake Off...

Did anyone see the segment on (2-sided) 19th Century Gingerbread Molds/Moulds that Sue Perkins did? It was in the most reason season to air in the US, although I believe it aired in the UK a few years ago. It was actually pretty informative, if anyone can find it online...(?)

13. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

14. bercrystal

I agree with pearls, there is no such thing as a too big cookie!! :p:p:p

@pearlsnblume - I think that is what they did is hang them all on the walls. I doubt they even knew what color the walls were because you would never even see the wall for the molds. :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

:bag::bag::sorry::sorry: Oops. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks AJ & Fid!!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss:

I sold this one back in 2012 for $233.00 so I did know the correct spelling at one time. :D:D :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

This one came out of an estate that had a gigantic collection of copper molds. We sold probably 75 to 100 of them Friday & have not even made a dent in the collection.

I bought the 2 wooden molds & a 3 tin chocolate molds. The only copper one I wanted got gone while I was busy choosing which of the vintage calculators I wanted, but that is a story for later. ;):smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

15. bercrystal

16. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I have a wooden rolling pin with different shapes on it that is similar to the cookie molds.
    If it wasn't so darn heavy, I would sell it.

Ghopper1924 and Christmasjoy like this.
  17. i need help

18. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I used geek speak...the link you posted didn't work because it was not formatted correctly.

19. i need help

I still don’t understand, but not important.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  20. Carol jeske

Carol jeske New Member

member: 88"]I picked this up at the auction. It is 13 1/2" by 7 1/2" by 5/8" & weighs 3 pounds all by itself.

I found another one on-line but they didn't say too much in the description. How old do you think it might be & am I using the correct name for the cookies?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all opinions or advice!! :kiss::kiss::kiss:[/QUOTE]

kyratango and Ghopper1924 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted