Spool Bed Questions

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Julie Sharpe, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Julie Sharpe

Julie Sharpe New Member

I assume this is an original Jenny Lind Bed due to the rounded shoulders and the wooden/metal pegs for the sideboards to attach. Can anyone tell me the value? type of wood? age?

Also, to add a mattress it seems I have to modify the sideboards with a small piece of wood that slats can fit onto. Is this the best way to modify the frame for a mattress?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

• Bed.jpg
      Bed.jpg
      File size:
      81.8 KB
      Views:
    judy likes this.
  2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

If you search online you can find kits that will help you modify the bed for queen-sized mattresses. If it's for one person then the best thing to do is leave the bed frame as-is; modifications usually cause a drop in value. However, if you have to have the bed modified then it sounds like you're on the right track with those wood siderail extenders.

Jenny Linds were made for many decades, from the mid 19th century until well into the 20th. Yours appears to be walnut, as most were. I'd say yours is earlier rather than later, but I can't tell what's going on with the headboard; more photos would help. Unlike yours, Jenny Lind headboards are usually not solid and in fact they're usually a mirror of the footboard, slightly taller (or not).

Like all other "brown furniture," your bed has lost value in the past 20 years. I don't know where you are, so can't assign a realistic $ amount. A bed frame like this would bring $150 - $200 or so at auction in my part of the U.S. Midwest.

Draft saved Draft deleted