Spool Bed

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jenny T, May 15, 2016.

1. Jenny T

Jenny T New Member

I have this 3/4 bed that was my grandmother's when she was a child. At some point it had been painted so when she inherited when her brother died in 1992 she took it to an antique dealer to have it restored. I have a twin mattress squeezed onto it & it has been my spare bed for some time but my new living arrangements will not have space for it. Does anyone know if I should just put it in the yard sale of if I should contact someone about the value.

Thanks!!

Attached Files:

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Hold on for Very Brad and others.

lauragarnet likes this.
  3. Jenny T

Jenny T New Member

Sorry? Very Brad??

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Beautiful bed. Definitely has value, though I'm no good at saying how much. I'd be doing a happy dance to find it at a garage sale.

5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Member who has much furniture knowledge.
    There are others and I apologize that I can't ring them all up in my head right now. :p

lauragarnet likes this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think these were also called " jenny Lind " beds .1860 - 1880s or so . I don't see these as often as I used to , but the last one I saw a couple of years ago was around $300 .Of course , that's in n. fla , it may be more or it may be less in your area . Definitely better than yard sale goods .

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

If there is any way to hang on to it, or pass it to another family member, you should consider doing that.

8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This is probably the best piece of the bunch. Hard to tell age without seeing the rails and attachments but would think at least as early as 1880. Looks like it could be maple.

10. Jenny T

Jenny T New Member

Here are the rails. The attachments I can't really get without taking it apart but they are some kind of metal and hook into the slots shown in the second picture.

Attached Files:

11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Slot connections are a bit later so this may not be quite as old as I thought. Circa 1900 is likely.

12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I'd have to see the end of one of the slats removed. It could be as late as 1950

13. Jenny T

Jenny T New Member

My grandmother said it was her childhood bed & she was born in 1910.

14. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Were they making 3/4 beds in the 1950s?
    I thought that was an earlier sized bed.

15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Maybe it's just the photos. They make it look very new.

14633575164331418695083.jpg

16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Jenny DID say it had been painted at some point and her grandmother had it restored around 1992............

17. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My 3/4 bed was made in 1914. I had a custom mattress made for it. The cost was 30 dollars. It was bigger than a twin but too big for a regular. I remember one night when the master bedroom was being painted, we all ended up in the 3/4. Me and wife, my son and two dogs and a cat.:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    greg

18. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

The erroneous so-called "Jenny Lind" beds have rounded shouders. She probably never slept on or knew of the rounded shoulders spool beds. The way this bed attaches I go along with 1900 as the earliest. My parents bought a new 3/4 bedstead in 1939/40. With this bed refinished, I would think c1910 Fits a very possible time frame.

--- Susan

Draft saved Draft deleted