Sports artefacts needed for museum project

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Bibitte, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Bibitte

Bibitte New Member

Hey guys,

Looking for sports artefacts, especially Jackie Robinson

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

MMmmm .. I wouldn't mind one of those too ...

lloyd249 likes this.
  3. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

It would be real helpful if you were a lot more specific about what you're looking for, what your acquisition budget is, and the nature of the museum project. Are you looking for memorabilia from any and all sports, or mainly baseball? Are you looking for game-used items and things of historical significance, or relatively trivial, peripheral, or decorative sorts of items of interest as long as they have a sports theme? Is there any particular focus or some sort of story to be told in this museum project? One thing we can tell you up front is that anything Jackie Robinson is going to be pricey...

4. Bibitte

Bibitte New Member

The key section of the museum is one about integration in sports, We have some very scarce Jackie Robinson artefacts from his Montreal time and some very early items from him.

We cover all sports, pro and amateur...We often trade towards items and have a lot to offer, not only sports memorabilia But other collectibles.

5. BaseballGames

Well, Robinson's story is well known, and there's memorabilia aplenty to be found (if expensively, in most cases). Hopefully your museum will highlight far lesser known but equally important individuals and stories. The history of racial integration of pro sports is too often confined to those who broke the color barrier in the currently existing major leagues, ignoring those who broke the color line (or were the earliest victims of the color line) in the pro ranks in earlier versions of the big leagues. Frank Grant in major league baseball, Charlie Follis, Doc Baker, and Henry McDonald in pro football (long before the NFL's Marion Motley, Woody Strode, Kenny Washington, and Bill Willis), Willie O'Ree in the NHL... interesting timing, as Wat Misaka passed away just last week, but before he became the first non-white guy in the NBA, there were African-American players in other (pre-NBA) pro and semi-pro basketball leagues (the NBA's done quite a job of burying and obscuring those leagues' histories). Obviously you've got the already famous Olympic stories of Jim Thorpe, Duke Kahanamoku, and Jesse Owens, among others... and for gender integration, Toni Stone is a fascinating story, Manon Rheaume another (although less successful)...

Again, depending on your institution's budget, you might do well looking in on some of the better auction houses that specialize in sports memorabilia -- Hunt Auctions, Robert Edward, Heritage, and so on -- for items related to your subject.

Figtree3, bluumz and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

funny you mention her...as a I gave a Manon Rheaume hockey card to my friends daughter as inspiration to help her , help her team to win an Ontario girls hockey championship !

7. Bibitte

Bibitte New Member

I totally agree with you, the underground pieces are as important then the major happenings or events in sports....

Most of who you mentioned already have their display ready for Exhibits.

Many other trailblazers not mentioned will be displayed, Georgina Paul, Cathy Lipari and others...i am digging deep in history and finding treasures, stories that will blow your mind, with some amazing interviews...

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  8. Bibitte

Bibitte New Member

Part of the Jackie Robinson collection is heading to the Jackie Robinson Museum for the opening. The prototype Bat and the original 1950 Screenplay. The curator of the Museum came to Montreal and expertise both and will have them in consignment for a few months.

The next step is to send the Montreal collection to the Negro league museum, No date yet but they would want to have an exhibit on Jackie's time in Montreal with the rest of the collection...remember that integration is only part of the process towards the Museum opening...

Here's a few pictures from the Robinson collection

Attached Files:

9. Bibitte

Bibitte New Member

Another part of the museum is paying tribute to artists.

Per example Jennifer Ettinger's art, Laura Foort, and some lesser known artists but equally talented.

Jennifer Ettinger's art, painting pro baseball players, her art is displayed outside the Nate Bailey Stadium in Vancouver...this giant banner once stood outside the stadium, done after her painting and now part of our collection along side other work from Jennifer

Laura Foort, a Montreal artist is supporting the museum project...see the Robinson/Trawick painting

Jean-Marc Duval a Trois-Rivières artist built this Stanley Cup For the project

Attached Files:

10. Daniel G

Daniel G Well-Known Member

This would have been a great piece for the collection but I just recently sold it. It is an original themed menu from the Feb 2, 1956 Ontario Sportswriters and Sportscasters Association banquet that was signed by Jackie and a few other featured guests. I wish I had joined this site a few months ago.

64B6D22F-6EAD-49BE-B7F8-6CCE3EAC66FD.jpeg 688292B0-EDA3-4DED-BE20-B0A89F651C2A.jpeg A533514E-57D3-45C3-AD24-EB923601E6B7.jpeg

komokwa likes this.
  11. komokwa

contact the buyer???? maybe..

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. Penny Sheppard

Penny Sheppard Active Member

Thank you for responding! I was responding to two different times I noticed it was written within a posting that you were interested in purchasing sports cards. They are baseball cards. If you do not have a need, no worries. To be honest, I do not have Any knowledge of which cards she has. These cards were compiled during childhood and kept well. If you want me to locate the postings still, just let me know and I’ll be happy to do so. Best, Penny :)

13. Penny Sheppard

I understand, I’ve never completed a sale prior, still learning.

14. Penny Sheppard

Somebody was interested in a saucer of mine and asked me to contact him, I just thought this was how it was done, my apologies.

15. BaseballGames

Are we being asked something, or offered something,
    or does this not even have anything at all to do with us...
    :confused:

Daniel G likes this.
  16. Penny Sheppard

17. komokwa

just Penny, finding her way around...........;)..:):):):)

18. BaseballGames

Umm... well, she quoted us in her post and seemed to be replying to that, and then implied we'd twice posted somewhere else in here that we were looking to buy baseball cards, which we don't remember having said once, let alone twice, so you can understand our confusion... In fact, we do occasionally / rarely buy baseball cards, but we wouldn't want to put her to the trouble of researching something on which we'd have only a slight chance of taking action... If she or her friend just want some advice on selling the cards, though, we'd be happy to provide that once we knew what she had...

komokwa and Christmasjoy like this.
  19. komokwa

implied we'd twice posted somewhere else in here that we were looking to buy baseball cards, which we don't remember having said once,

ya, ....she said that to me too !

so, I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt, that she's not familiar with how the site works..........
    I could always be wrong though.............:(

Christmasjoy likes this.
  20. Penny Sheppard

Hi, sorry for any confusion! I didn’t read the entire conversation apparently, this is a big bloop on my part!

Draft saved Draft deleted