Square Uranium Glass Daisy and Button(?) Bowl.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Ploot-O, May 30, 2020.

1. Ploot-O

Ploot-O New Member

Hello!

So, I just got my hands on a small, square, uranium glass bowl. I don't know much about glassware, so I'm going to need some help with identifying this piece.

I have 4 Hobbs Brockunier Daisy & Button Berry Bowls (circa the late 1880s, I think. I'll post pictures), also made of uranium glass. The pattern on this square bowl seems slightly different from the daisy & button pattern found on the berry bowls. It more so looks like a daisy & diamond pattern, if you will.

The square bowl has a smoother top rim and there is a significant bubble in the base, along with a few other bubbles. I'm not sure if it's more modern or more towards the same age as the Hobbs bowls.

Here are some pictures of both bowls.
    The Square Bowl:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The Hobbs Bowl:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    judy likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the board.
    Many people won't click on links.

You need to resize your pictures to 1MB or less and add them to the thread.

If the edit button is no longer showing in your first post, use the Post Reply and click on the landscape button to add your picture.
    upload_2020-5-30_22-16-24.png

judy likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Once you post your pictures, we have someone very knowledgeable about Hobbs.

judy likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

5. Ploot-O

Ploot-O New Member

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  6. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Your second bowl was made by Hobbs, Brockkuiner & Co. in Wheelinlg, WV., ca. 1884. They called the color marine Green, that particular bowl was included in their No. 101 line, the bowl itself was called a Star Bowl in their catalogs. The first one isn't truly Daisy and Button, no octagonal buttons. It may be from Central Glass Co. (also Wheeling) who made a pattern very like that.

clutteredcloset49 and judy like this.
  7. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

double post, sorry

8. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

9. Ploot-O

Ploot-O New Member

Thanks! I appreciate the specifics you went into on the Hobbs bowl.

10. Ploot-O

Ploot-O New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted