Featured Sri Yantra symbol and fish on glass plate with gold back no idea

Discussion in 'Art' started by Kevolee, Nov 18, 2022.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm not sure I am even in the right forum for this. This is a plate with what appears to be an image on paper applied to it with the Sri Yantra symbol, aka sacred geometry I think, and a fish of some sort with glass over that and a painted gold backing. I thought at first because of the head, the fish may be an Inuit rendering of a salmon but that doesn't add up so I think it may be a Koi fish. It's interesting that the fish has the tails of smaller fish in its mouth. The gold around the outer edge appears to be hand painted. To me the raised glass rim pops out too. When held to light, the gold paint on the back becomes translucent. I have little knowledge of Buddhist philosophy so I am hoping someone can help me tie all of this together. Thanks in advance for any help.

pl1.JPG pl2.JPG pl3.JPG pl4.JPG pl5.JPG pl6.JPG

judy, Bronwen and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Imo it is Hindu, rather than Buddhist.
    I know the fish is one of the avatars of Vishnu, maybe that is what the fish refers to.
    As Matsya, his fish avatar, Vishnu saved the forefather of the human race. You occasionally see a fish depicted in Hindu temples.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    judy, Potteryplease and Bakersgma like this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
  5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Great Plate-Weather it's a homemade decoupage or an art piece,it's striking.By the way re your avatar photo-where's 'Loafer's Glory' ? (hope i haven't asked before).

judy likes this.
  6. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for all of the information. Once I began following your leads I couldn't stop exploring the places they took me to. Very interesting how many similarities there are between so many different religions and philosophies. Bosko69, thanks and once I saw decoupage, it was an on the tip of the tongue moment. The photo was taken in front of a long gone antique shop in Rock Island, Illinois. It was vacant for some time and now somebody has remodeled it and is making and selling jewelry out of it. It's a nice place but that old charm was much better. Thanks again everyone.

judy and komokwa like this.
  7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Happy to help-I grew up in the golden age of decoupage' and macrame'.
    Love that window (would've bought it)-looks like some place woody guthrie or jack london would've slugged down some bad whiskey.You could write a short story set in that place- a skid row tale.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted