St. Mother Cabrini Figurine with with relic need help dating.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Kevolee, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Hi, I have this 6.75" figure of St. Frances Xavier Cabrini that is made of plastic of some sort and I haven't been able to find one like it to know how old it could be. It is marked on back CDF ITALY. On the front there is a small button with a clear center that says Reliquia SFS Cabrini. I have found that it likely holds a small piece of cloth that was put in contact with an original garment of St. Cabrini. I did find one similar to this but with a totally different base, but there was no indication of how old that one was either. That one said it glows under a UV light, but what's interesting is that the button on this one is silver toned but under a UV light it is blue. The figure itself is not affected by the light. She died in 1917 and was canonized a saint in 1946, so I am assuming this figure is from sometime after the latter date. If anyone has any ideas or knows what CDF stands for I would certainly appreciate the help.
    IMG_0361.JPG IMG_0362.JPG IMG_0363.JPG IMG_0364.JPG IMG_0365.JPG IMG_0366.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

CDF = the manufacturer Colombo Damiano & Figli of Noviglio (Milan.) Figli, of course, means "sons" in English.

Debora

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    anundverkaufen likes this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I don't see anything remarkable about the way the metal collar reflects back the UV light; most of what is around it also looks blue in the photo.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

But I may be wrong!

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

1950s/1960s I'd think. My guess is this was some sort of fundraiser piece.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Is the cloth located in the base? What happens, if anything, when you push that red button? I agree with @evelyb30 on 1960s. Americans were starting to travel internationally after WWII and bringing back items like this. Or it may have been an import to a store that sold religious items.

I've found religious items in the past and to my amazement, they sold quite well on line. My amazement only because I'm always amazed when people buy stuff I wouldn't buy for myself.

Bronwen and Ghopper1924 like this.
  8. Bronwen

The little red button is the bit of cloth under glass or plastic. You do not need to go overseas to bring home a souvenir of Mother Cabrini. She is here in NYC, & I mean here. There is what is supposed to be her body (I've been told it's wax) in a glass casket at the front of her shrine. In the gift shop you can currently buy this:

[​IMG]

I agree that Kevolee's figurine is 50s/60s. It is a fancier, better quality version. Anyway, it may be someone's souvenir of a trip to New York & a visit to the shrine.

The one time I was in the Cabrini gift shop, one of the items for sale was a Princess Diana calendar from several years prior, still in its shrink wrap.

Edit: Given its popularity, I should mention that the shrine is In The Heights.

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, produced for and sold in the US. An American saint. And likely from the decades immediately following her canonization.

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  10. Bronwen

If the relic fluoresced, now that would be something.

11. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. The Colombo Damiano & Figli of Noviglio company usually makes metal medallion and coin type pieces but I did find several figures, including the one that supposedly glows under UV light which sold, but the link to it led nowhere beyond the photo and brief description. I believe the cloth is under glass or very hard plastic as there is no give to it. I've found that religious pieces are either very hot or very cold in regards to selling. I think this one has some appeal because it's a little different, just not sure how much. Thanks again.

Bronwen likes this.
  12. Bronwen

Offering it for sale in an auction is the only way to find out. Value is only the most someone is willing to pay.

BoudiccaJones likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted