Featured Stacked pantry boxes, new, vintage or old ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Calico, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Picked this set up in a TS for a few dollars so if they turn out to be new-made-to-look-old that's OK.;)
    The construction, tacks and nails make me think older but the paint is throwing me off. It's a pinkish/green wash with a dull yellow top (my flash brightened up the yellow).
    Opinions would be most welcome, and thank you. :happy: boxes1.jpg boxes2.jpg boxes3.jpg boxes4.jpg boxes5.jpg boxes6.jpg

Attached Files:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2017-7-24_23-46-4.jpeg
    likely New England pantry boxes......maybe Shaker......they were and were not painted......the nails look consistent with early 1900's.......
    But...I'd need to have them in hand to stake my rep on it !!

upload_2017-7-24_23-48-27.jpeg

3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

They look fairly new. I see these sets in woodworkers booths at local craft shows all the time. There was a couple here in town who have now both passed away. They were in the Peace Corps back in the 60s. He specialized in Shaker items and did fine work. I'd say it'd be hard to tell unless you get a Shaker expert to look at them. Dick would get his nails made at the local forge, too.

lauragarnet and yourturntoloveit like this.
  4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

5. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Thank you ! I already have a few of these, legitimate old ones that left no doubt. The tacks and tiny staples along with the rust bleed and shrinkage make me think 'old' and the bases seem to have honest wear but the paint is throwing me off. :(

James Conrad, lauragarnet and judy like this.
  6. komokwa

it's hard to fake the rust bleed.....or black leaching from the iron..

lauragarnet and judy like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

My general feeling is I think the boxes are old, BUT so sad if they are, that someone messed with the paint or stain on them......But then again the insides look awfully 'fresh' too....so, I'm still up in the air.....

8. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Ah...you see my dilemma.

lauragarnet, judy and komokwa like this.
  9. komokwa

the paint they used had a tendancy to fade over time in a bright location.

lauragarnet likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

These are my three definitely old boxes.....7 oz plastic cup for size....the insides are all naturally aged dark....and oops, yes, Mom likes most of her antiques refinished, so Dad either stained or cleaned and waxed the outside of the middle box! (Which has forever had a straw hat for one of their Doxies in it!!) The left end box is a gray, not green as the picture sort of looks...

ShakerOrBerryBoxes.jpg

11. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Love those Aquitaine ! I emailed the photos to a dealer who specializes in pantry boxes and her thoughts were that these are circa 1900 that someone fooled with the paint, maybe trying to remove it and it resulted in the washed effect. So, they are old (not too early) with fooled-with paint.

12. komokwa

I'm good with age...& the paint theory sounds plausible ..!!!!;)
    Not bad for a few bucks !! :happy:

lauragarnet, Calico and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted