Featured Standard sewing machine

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Cassy, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Cassy

Cassy Well-Known Member

7D28101E-4AFF-40BE-A1FE-2343B0AB03C1.jpeg 21679CC4-972E-41D8-BC8D-A96E679F5632.jpeg 6E972253-2BEB-4DE7-91C4-FC2897CBFE67.jpeg 9FD682E6-4427-4D05-B080-B8B066904332.jpeg hi all
    Any sewing machine experts out there . Who can help me date this old machine please.

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

3. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Without seeing the brass pillar-badge, I won't be able to tell you too much, but first impressions are:

- Japanese-made.
    - Singer 15-clone/knockoff.
    - Postwar manufacture (1950s, 60s, most likely).

Japan cranked out MILLIONS of these machines in the postwar era, followed in the 70s and 80s, by China. They produced countless, countless knockoffs and copies of the Singer 15 sewing machine, first made back in the...1870s, I think it was.

The stitch-length regulator, and the forward-reverse gearing on the pillar tells me that this is a POST-WAR machine. Singer didn't start doing that stuff until the late 30s. All sewing machine manufacture ceased during the War, so the first Singer machines with forward-reverse gearing and stitch-adjustment like that were all postwar machines in the late 40s, early 50s. Given that this is a copy of a Singer 15, it won't be any older than that. The numbers on the pillar dial refer to stitches-per-inch.

Why the hell they ever picked the Singer 15 as the best machine to copy, is beyond my goddamn comprehension. It's certainly not the easiest machine to use, I speak from firsthand experience, but it remains popular, for reasons that continue to elude me.

Electrical power was still not universal, even in the 1950s. So hand-cranked machines continued to be made. My dad grew up in the 50s and 60s, and he said that my grandmother (who was a dressmaker) still used a treadle-machine most of the time to do her work, just because the power was so unreliable, using her electric machine just wasn't worthwhile.

That's all I can tell you at the moment, unless you have specific questions or provide more photos.

4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

!! a) I didn't know ANY of that! b) My grandmother was still using a treadle machine in the 50's. Made all my mother's clothes (ncluding wedding gown, underdress, and same outfits for Eight bridesmaids.
    Then she started on me. :) )

5. Cassy

Cassy Well-Known Member

2300553A-DAE1-4E0E-B0FB-3182E84410D2.jpeg 378E79C1-8989-4400-96BC-C148AD19B143.jpeg
    Here is picture of badge and underneath

judy likes this.
  6. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

My grandma, who made all of my clothes until probably high school, would have loved you so hard.

I learned to sew on her old Singer, but I hated sewing. She was a good grandma, so she loved my anyway -- but you would have been her favorite. :joyful:

silverthwait, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Cassy, does the instruction booklet have a date in it anywhere?
    standard sewing machine booklet.jpeg

Jivvy and judy like this.
  8. TrevorCornish9

TrevorCornish9 New Member

Wow! This looks so gorgeous. I know that people do not want to use them on their purpose anymore. It's quite uncomfortable. As far as I know, people usually purchase them only for decor purposes. It is hard and dangerous to make them working again. Look how well it is decorated with iron ornaments. It was expensive back in those times. Better keep it as an antiquarian decor, and get a new sewing machine. My wife loves to sew, and she wants to get a sewing machine. She even sent me this
    http://sewingmachinebuffs.com/7-differences-between-sewing-machine-and-overlock-machine/. Should I consider it as a hint?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  9. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I don't think there's anything too dangerous about this one. Looks like a hand-cranked model, and so fairly innocuous.

Draft saved Draft deleted