Featured Stangl pottery, Trenton, New Jersey

Discussion in 'Art' started by Ihaveolditems, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Ihaveolditems

Ihaveolditems Active Member

IMG_0882.JPG IMG_0883.JPG IMG_0884.JPG IMG_0885.JPG
    I got about 11 pieces of a set/ one plate maybe from another set of stangl pottery. One small plate says terra-rose whilst the others I examined do not. I know I read somewhere they stopped making pottery in the mid 1970's? When would you date these pieces, and are they desirable or just good for normal eating use?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    toomanytocount, judy and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I like them.
    They seem to have been for use but I'd do research before using them now. Issues may have been found since.

Christmasjoy, judy and Ihaveolditems like this.
  3. Ihaveolditems

Will post some more items in new threads

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Your yellow tulip design was designed by Kay Hackett based on an old Pennsylvania Dutch design. It was also made in blue made for Marshall Field only in Chicago. There were two cups designed the oldest was a shorter fat size the newest design had a taller more slender with a smaller bottom. they were offered from the late 1940s to the 1960s. The fatter cup was changed in the late 50s.
    greg

5. Ihaveolditems

hey gregsglass, thanks for the useful information! i have i believe 2 drinking cups which i will include pictures of when i get home from work. Thanks!

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I used to sell a lot of Stangl. Mr Stangl was the head of Fulper pottery which he closed down and started Stangl. The Stangl dinnerware best seller was Thistle which
    Mr Stangl did not approve since he was on vacation when the pattern was deigned. He had horses and HATED thistles which always got tangled in his horses tails and manes. When he returned from vacation he almost had a stroke, he personally hated the pattern and tried to stop it being made but it was the LARGEST seller of all the Stangl patterns!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    greg

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I remember touring the pottery, or something similar, when I was really little. There used to be some pottery outlet stores in Flemington, NJ, including Stangl.

Draft saved Draft deleted