Featured Star of David Torah charm?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by 916Bulldogs123, Jul 18, 2018.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

At least I think it is. But wondering how old it might be.
    it is sterling, hollow and 1" long. Star of David and four blue colored stones or beads. I haven't tried to clean it up yet as you can see.
    Anything anyone can tell me would be appreciated.

Mikey

atree 21631.jpg
    atree 21627.jpg atree 21630.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

In the form of a Torah scroll with the star decorating that. May be a mezuzah. Anything visible inside?

3. 916Bulldogs123

There is nothing inside that i can see.

judy likes this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Still appears to be a mezuzah pendant, just an empty one.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Or technically a mezuzah HOLDER pendant, since the scroll is the mezuzah. That's what this is; I wear one with the scroll inside. The stone, if it's stone, is turquoise.

pearlsnblume, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a twin amulet case pendant, Yemeni style. To me the cases look like Torah scrolls.
    Originally amulet cases held some kind of talisman, which could be a protective text, herb, stone, etc, but they often came to be considered protective on their own.

Yemen was the main silver country in the Middle East, and Yemeni silversmiths were in demand throughout the region. Yemen always had an important Jewish community and many Yemeni silversmiths were Jewish. They made jewellery for all faiths.

The stones are glass beads, as you thought, Mikey. Blue is a protective colour.
    The star looks filled with black, is that niello? In that case it could have been made in Syria or one of the neighbouring countries, by a Yemeni silversmith.
    It could even have been a souvenir from neighbouring Palestine, which has had a Yemeni community for centuries.
    Is that a mark on the back of the bail:
    atree 21630.jpg
    Could we see a closeup photo? Also of the star, please?

This is a little amulet case from Yemen, waiting for one of my repair projects, a Suleiman banded agate and silver necklace.
    As you can see the style is similar, with those rows of flattened spirals. It doesn't open and never contained anything. It is protective as it is, in combination with the Suleiman (king Solomon) agate.
    upload_2018-7-19_11-7-48.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    aaroncab and judy like this.
  7. 916Bulldogs123

I'll clean it up a bit and take more pics.
    Thanks to both of you.
    Mike

8. evelyb30

Definitely a Torah design. The scrolls are stored in a velvet case as often as not, with silver "caps" placed on the tops. I can't quite figure out the inscription on the star.

9. 916Bulldogs123

I cleaned it up a little. there are some marks on the back of the bale but too hard to photograph.
    A aaa.JPG
    A aaa2.JPG
    A aaa1.JPG

pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. evelyb30

I can't read that either. The Hebrew on the front has to be short for something else. It's not a word I recognize or can make sense of.

11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

12. evelyb30

Aha. It's four letters. I was only seeing three. That makes a difference....

i need help likes this.
  13. 916Bulldogs123

Wow thanks Hunting.

14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Your Welcome, wouldn’t have found it without everyone’s info. :rolleyes:

15. Any Jewelry

Hunting, your hunting skills.............:jawdrop::jawdrop::)

It says Art Deco. I suppose they mean the period rather than the style. In that case yours could be 1930s, Yemeni (Yemenite) made in Palestine.
    The mark is probably the maker's mark and.....

16. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

These are still made by hand and sold in Israel and are very common. That’s not to say that this ISNT from the 1930s - it might be. But it is also possible it was made recently in this classic style. Because the style has remained basically the same and they are still made by hand it’s difficult to say from a photo.

judy likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

To me the style is Yemeni/Yemenite, and has been around ever since the first Yemeni filigree was made, somewhere in the mists of jewellery time.;)
    But the Etsy site calls it Art Deco, which could mean they know something we don't. For instance that the particular Jerusalem manufacturer started making this particular mezuzah in the 1930s. Or they could just be making it up.:)

judy and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted