Starburst / atomic barware - Federal Glass?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by UncleChuckTX, Feb 5, 2016.

1. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

I see these listed as Federal, Swanky Swigs, and Libbey. I've searched for atomic / starburst everywhere I can think of, and looked through my Florence 40s/50s/60s book. I think I can rule out Swanky Swigs, based on the pictures he shows.

They're 3-3/8" high, 3-5/8" in diameter, and hold 8 ounces to the rim. Unmarked. Does anyone recognize, or have a good reference I might investigate? I also tried a few of the "MCM" sites. My favorite, modish.net, appears to be in transition and temporarily shuttered.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

IMG_8670_A.JPG IMG_8670_C.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

No clue but...VERY COOL! :)

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    You can rule out Swanky Swigs. Do they have a slightly thicker top rim? if so Libby would be a good choice. I think they are "too good" to be Federal. I have to check my sources this morning after I go to bed.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  4. KingofThings

Hmmmm... Your last sentence Greg.... Do you sleep in a research library???? ;)

Jivvy and Aquitaine like this.
  5. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

I'm seeing various barware, including highballs, old fashioned, ice buckets and pilsners with this starburst motif. some attribute to Federal but most just mention MCM, retro, atomic, etc. The pilsner design with the wafer stem may lead to Federal, as "R" has other pilsners with same stem attributed to Federal.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi KoT,
    No, it was just that I was up all night and just going to bed at 7AM. It is now 9:45 and having my coffee.
    greg

Jivvy and KingofThings like this.
  7. KingofThings

;)

8. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

George Briard decorated glassware like this but I think he used several different companies as his blanks.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Don't necessarily trust my memory. I don't sometimes lately. Other times it amazes me how some obscure picture pops up.

Those look suspiciously familiar, sitting in my pantry about 1950, having been taken out of a box with LIBBY on it.

If someone confirms that, I'll be happy.
    If someone proves it wrong, I'll go take a nap.

10. UncleChuckTX

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I agree about them not being Swanky Swigs, Greg. Every SS example I can find has a thin base, where the base on these is between 1/2" - 3/4" thick. Sorry I forgot to include a profile pic:

IMG_8678.JPG

And, Don, I see what you're saying about the stem on the Federal pilsners. I found examples in this pattern (listed as Swanky Swigs - ha), and the stems matched the Federal examples perfectly. I also found other patterns that I know are Libbey (Mediterranean aka Atomic Fish, for example), and they have a 3-lobed stem rather than the wafer.

I think I'll go with Federal, and do a "best guess" disclaimer in the listing.

Oh, and I did look through the Libbey catalogues, OldGuy, and the only "atomic" or starburst patterns I could find were their Granada and Galaxy patterns. Perhaps that is what you remember? Granada is first shown in the 1955 Fall catalog. Galaxy is first shown in 1956 Spring.

http://www.libbeyhistory.com/Catalogs.html

Thanks again, everyone!

cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

@UncleChuckTX thanks for the link to the Libbey catalogues, that is a great resource:)

KingofThings likes this.
  12. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Thanks, Uncle.

Yippee, I get to take a nap.

13. Lulleensdaughter

Lulleensdaughter New Member

I had an 8 pc tumbler set & broke a glass a while back... gone crazy trying to replace it! I am going with Federal in my search!

14. UncleChuckTX

Good luck finding a replacement. Hope this helps - it includes items listed as Federal and the general term "barware" along with the keywords "black and gold":

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...tshirt,+eagle,+shirt,+t-shirt)&LH_TitleDesc=0

Of course, you may find them on other sites as well. I happened to have the eBay page open.

If you have trouble finding a match, start a new post with a photo of your item. The friendly folks here will be glad to help narrow down the maker and pattern if they can.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted