Featured Start as you mean to go on is my mantra

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ownedbybear, Jan 2, 2023.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Given I drank very little on New Years Eve, I was fine to go to a little indoor charity table top sale. I think most of the sellers were hungover as hell.

The amber brooch is bonkers. It's HUGE and it's knitted. (!). I love sea themed jewellery, so the necklace and bracelet set had to come home. No marks, very well made. Nice Persian enamel brooch. Nearly didn't buy the pink plastic, then told myself sternly that I'd regret not spending a whole three quid. I wonder who Pat was?

P1200705 small.JPG P1200702 small.JPG P1200713 small.JPG P1200715 small.JPG P1200714 small.JPG P1200712 small.JPG P1200704 small.JPG

2. Ownedbybear

The piece de resistance was froggy here. Huge, heavy and feeds the glass addiction too. Look how his foot is the band!

P1200710 small.JPG P1200709 small.JPG P1200711 small.JPG P1200708 small.JPG

3. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

That amber piece is really wonderful, and the frog as well. I’d say you’re off to a great new year start.

4. Ownedbybear

The amber was silly cheap, frog wasn't too bad either. Yes, a good start!

5. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

It’s been so long since I’ve had any sort of jewelry haul that I’m actually having vivid dreams of such, which only make things much worse - so I really appreciate your posts :)

6. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

The frog is sensational!

judy, KSW, charlie cheswick and 4 others like this.
  7. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

The frog ring is amazing, I love frogs, used to have two small frogs as pets, had taken them from a pond nearby our place. Very interesting experience, and they are quite amusing animals.
    The amber chrysanthemum brooch is also very attractive.
    Indeed an awesome start of the year!

judy, KSW, charlie cheswick and 4 others like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

I love frogs, wish I had some in my pond. The brooch is mad: who KNITS with amber!

judy, Aquitaine, KSW and 6 others like this.
  9. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Absolutely love both the amber and the frog.

judy, Aquitaine, KSW and 3 others like this.
  10. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Me too, I could sense we had something in common :joyful: (apart from affection towards jewelry :joyful:). My frogs lived in an aquarium and I used to take them out on the balcony to take some fresh air. They had stones to go out of the water (they need it to survive, they are amphibians) and I also had to catch flies to feed them, and because I had read that they cannot not see well and cannot catch dead prey, I would catch the fly alive and tear one of its wings, and put it into the water, buzzing and moving. The frog would spot it quickly and take out an enormously long tongue, so quickly that it was almost unnoticeable, and would catch it. I wish I could have them in a pond but we lived in an apartment. You are lucky to have a pond.

Actually, I have a necklace with knitted amber pendant, it is faux, some kind of light plastic. Bulgarian, I guess artisan make. Nothing special otherwise. I will try to find later and will post here.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    judy, Aquitaine, bercrystal and 2 others like this.
  11. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

So I was not the only one to torturing flies. I did the same to feed my pet lizard I caught in Libya. No pet store to buy food but we had plenty of flies and cockroaches.

judy, bercrystal, ulilwitch and 2 others like this.
  12. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

O'Bear-You are one hard,hard working picker ! Reminds me of myself in my 20's.Plus you jewelry ladies have a great support group-you inspire each other,very cool.

judy, IvaPan, ulilwitch and 1 other person like this.
  13. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I have a weakness for Frogs as well,so I have to love that ring !

judy, Aquitaine, IvaPan and 1 other person like this.
  14. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

I absolutely love that ring. Love the frog and the flowers. Plus, the fact that it's silver is a plus!

judy and IvaPan like this.
  15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

GORGEOUS!!!! Simply BOTH of those (Amber & Ring) ARE GORGEOUS!!! Of course it helps that my right hand every day Frog ring wraps around my finger JUST about like yours...:)...BUT he doesn't wrap around a stone first... (only your stone looks like a mini-milifiori paperweight!!!) just my finger with ruby eyes....so we're both lucky!!!

judy and IvaPan like this.
  16. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

No, I was also a fly torturer. No other way to keep the frogs alive.
    There were very primitive pet stores at that time at my place, for simple things like food for Harlequin parrots and for aquarium fish, and worms for fishing, but where to find alive flies for unusual pets like ours?? I mastered at catching flies by hand without smashing them, and then carefully opening my hand and grabbing poor creature's wings. No remorse though, it was done in the name of love :joyful:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    Lark, judy and bercrystal like this.
  17. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Say: might we see...by whatever light...and on yer hand?
    I'm a closet frog lover, proud an' unashamed!

judy likes this.
  18. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Knitted faux amber pendant knitted amber1.jpg knitted amber2.jpg

lovewrens, judy, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  19. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Ownedbybear always finds amazing stuff, natural gift plus a lot of experience, I guess. It is indeed cool to look at what she shares.

Aquitaine and Ownedbybear like this.
  20. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Ownedbybear also works very,very hard Iva.She is a full-time hunter & smart.

Draft saved Draft deleted