Featured STARTING MY OWN THREAD! HAVE A UNIQUE!! 2 1/2 D. gold coin.....

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Aquitaine, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I got up this a.m. planning on posting my coin, but once online I saw another member had already posted one!!!!! HOWEVER, mine is VERY different!!! My parents apparently purchased it sometime in the early sixties from a friend.....still looking for a cancelled check on this too!!!! Have any of you coin people EVER heard of a 1915 PANAMA PACIFIC EXPOSITION 2 1/2 dollar gold coin with Lady Liberty on a Serpent horse, and on the back a 'double eagle' (??)...if that's what that's called?? Next to the 1915 there appears to be a tiny '8'........it's in a case which I was able to loosen to where the plastic covers fell off, but it didn't want to come out of the case and I didn't want to break the case. It also says, printed under the eagle in a bar: E. PLURIBUS. UNUM It also looks to be in pretty nice condition............Oh, alright.......

zPAN-PACIF-EXPO-2HALFD-1915-1.jpg

zPAN-PACIF-EXPO-1915-2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

can't wait to see it !!

judy, Joshua Brown and KingofThings like this.
  3. komokwa

No....REALLY....I have to go shower now......so I can't wait to see it....:hilarious:

Maybe .....when I return....:)

4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Thank the stars for water, soap and plumbing!
    ;)

pearlsnblume, judy and Joshua Brown like this.
  5. KingofThings

WOW!!!

Joshua Brown and kyratango like this.
  6. Aquitaine

I looked on a couple of the coin sites and found ZIP!!!! I knew I'd be here anyway!!

7. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

8. KingofThings

9. KingofThings

10. Aquitaine

THAT site I did NOT see!!!!!!!! THANK YOU @Kronos, SO MUCH!!!!! Now I have to go back and read it thoroughly!!!!!

Edit: So, I guess that's a "s" and not an 8 as I thought.....I know I need new glasses, and am NOT happy with the camera on the new Samsung phone I bought......... sigh.............but, I AM IN AWE!!!!!!! I keep finding these little ditties that amaze me........YEEEEEESHHHH!!:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    judy, Joshua Brown, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  11. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

Love that! I collect hippocampus items but won't be able to afford one of those!:wideyed:

Aquitaine, judy and Joshua Brown like this.
  12. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Depending on the grade that is a fairly valuable coin.
    Its a single eagle depicted on the reverse and the "S" means it was struck at San Fransisco mint.
    Catalog prices are upto $9000 for top grade.

Aquitaine, cxgirl, judy and 1 other person like this.
  13. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

Hubby has an American gold eagle set in ring, He's had it for a long time now.

It has PLURIBUS UNUM. IN GOD WE TRUST on the front.
    It has the Eagle as above and two smaller Eagles that appear to be in a nest.
    On the back it looks similar to the Statue of Liberty but it's hard to see exactly.
    Seems to have the date in roman numerals...MCMLXXXVI.
    I think that's 1986.

The mount hides any other details but it's probably worth whatever the gold value is on the day I'm guessing.

Interesting thread :)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    Aquitaine, cxgirl, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  14. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Assuming that the bezel hasn't damaged the rims of the coin there is some good value here. Certainly appears to be in mint state condition. Could very easily be worth $2,000+ if I'm interpreting auction results correctly. This is a coin that you may want to submit to a third party grader like NGC or PCGS to have graded to maximize value if you ever decide to sell. Your local coin dealer with submitting privileges to PCGS or NGC can help you through the paperwork.

edit:

Interesting write up on the history of the Panama Pacific Gold Coins.
    http://www.usrarecoininvestments.co...ve_coins/1915-S_Panama_Pacific_Gold_Coins.htm

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  15. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Sounds like a gold American Eagle. They made them in 1/10, 1/4, 1/2, and 1 ounce coins and their value is mostly dependent on current spot price of gold.

Aquitaine, Poisonivy and judy like this.
  16. Poisonivy

Yes that's what is, Can't see the details on weight or what denomination it is because of the mount.
    It's a nice ring though.

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  17. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

What size is it approximately? The one ounce coins are slightly larger than a half dollar and the 1/10 ounce coins are smaller than a penny.

Aquitaine, judy and Poisonivy like this.
  18. Poisonivy

It's roughly 18mm in diameter, Does that help?
    I'm in the UK so don't have the coins to compare with.

Aquitaine likes this.
  19. komokwa

20. komokwa

upload_2017-10-25_7-45-9.jpeg 14K Gold Ladies 18 Mm Coin Ring With A 22 K 1/10 Oz American Eagle Coin

Ladies....????:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Aquitaine, judy and Poisonivy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted