Featured Statue's toes broken off by tourist taking a selfie.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Any Jewelry, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

IMO they should be held financially liable for the cost of restoring the damage. Vanity and stupidity together are a dangerous combination. Reminds me that there has been an uptick in people falling off of cliffs taking selfies in the past few years...

3. Any Jewelry

4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

5. kyratango

:arghh::snaphappy::facepalm:

Bronwen, judy, antidiem and 2 others like this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Get out the krazy glue and get busy!

7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

In the list of destructive agents threatening art and artifacts (light, humidity, insects, etc.), human stupidity is right up there near the top of the list.

8. Any Jewelry

Absolutely.

9. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

All the hoards of entitled, expectant, self-interested people are why we can't have nice things as a society.

10. Any Jewelry

It can get even worse, parents filming their kids destroy art, watch and weep:

11. kyratango

:wideyed::wideyed::wideyed: ooohhh filming the two little angels having fun at the museum:rolleyes:
    :banghead::banghead::banghead:

pearlsnblume, Bronwen, judy and 2 others like this.
  12. reader

reader Well-Known Member

This is such a real issue. I don’t know the answer as IMO there’s a huge difference between vandalism and sheer stupidity. I’ve been a museum art docent in multiple institutions over the years and one of the biggest issues is that so many institutions do not have the budget to have enough security in the galleries and/or don’t want to “distract” from the public’s experience by roping off fragile works or using signage.

Sadly, damage like this happens all the time. I had a huge back and forth with a curator over requesting “Do Not Touch” signage in front of a glass piece that was constantly being touched leaving fingerprints which ruined the experience as it obviously told the viewer that there was glass in place rather than an “open” hole.

Nothing was done as the curators felt that signage “broke the magic” so I guess better to screw up the piece.

Any Jewelry, Joe2007 and 2manybooks like this.
  13. reader

reader Well-Known Member

That was not atypical but nonetheless nauseating. I should write a book on the horrors I’ve seen in art museums over my life as well as the attitude that some give when gently corrected.

Young children can’t all be expected to know the rules but when parents show no common sense whatsoever it’s another story and the worst offenses I’ve seen are committed by adults, not kids.

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

those folks should not be allowed to have phones..........or kids !!

15. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Beyond agree!

16. 2manybooks

I have often thought that museums would be fine places if visitors were not allowed. :rolleyes:

17. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I really don’t obviously believe that but I do believe that museum guests need to be given an idiot sheet of rules upon arrival with PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH THE ART AND PLEASE WATCH ALL CHILDREN in RED at the top of the sheet!

18. 2manybooks

I was being honest. Having worked in museums myself, I found it very enjoyable during the after hours when it was just me and the artifacts.

19. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

When we toured Buckingham Palace (the Queen was away at the time and tours were being given) all the rooms with the wonderful art collections were roped, one would have had to go under or over to actually touch the pieces. I was quite ecstatic to be "just this far" from a real Degas, Chagall and other Grand Masters I have heard of and learned a bit about all my life. I cannot fathom the sheer idiocy it takes to disregard the value, not in currency but in historic terms, of these things. Makes my blood boil!

20. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Every museum docent deals with guest idiocy pretty much every time they’re in the galleries.

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted