Steinbock-Email enamel bowls

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Pat P, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I have a couple of Steinbock-Email bowls that were made in Austria. Like others I've seen on the web, they're irregularly shaped. Does anyone know if they made them this way deliberately?

Here's the smaller of the two bowls...

steinbock-email01.JPG

Aquitaine and SBSVC like this.
  2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Yes, I believe so - I love them. Yours look in good condition, the pieces I've had were somewhat worn.

ummm what're Steinbok-email bowls? :)

Pat P likes this.
  3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

They are kind of cool, aren't they? I have the two bowls and a coaster, and all are in very good condition.

I didn't look up what "Email" means in Austrian, but Steinbock was the family name of the people who started the firm and were the first artisans creating the pieces. Here's the bottom label on the bowl...

steinbock-email02.JPG

scoutshouse likes this.
  4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

This is the coaster... I think it's very pretty.

steinbock-email03.JPG

SBSVC and scoutshouse like this.
  5. scoutshouse

Oh, that's funny! I tried a German translation, but didn't clear it up - just means "email!"

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The German word for enamel is emaille.

Metal pieces can warp when they are enameled. No idea if that's the case here. The counter enameling, which is the exterior blue on the bowl, is supposed to offset that, but maybe things like variation in thickness might still lead to warping. I don't have any hands-on enameling experience.

They are pretty.

dgbjwc, scoutshouse and Pat P like this.
  7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks, MOS. That makes sense.

scoutshouse likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the coloring on the top, smaller one!!!!!:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::D:D

Pat P and scoutshouse like this.
  9. scoutshouse

They are just special - they make me think of very fancy Pennsylvania Dutch decoration.

Pat P likes this.
  10. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks, Aquitaine. :)

I agree, Scout, they do have a Pennsylvania Dutch feel. Since Austria and Germany border each other, could be there's an overlap in style.

Draft saved Draft deleted