Stemware with penguin stem.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by spirit-of-shiloh, Aug 29, 2014.

1. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I have 5 of these. I looked all over but cannot find the maker. I took this pic from an ebay seller who is auctioning one and THINKS its Libby? Replecements does not show it? Is it vintage? Does anyone know who the maker is? The penguin is wearing a top hat and tails.Thank you. :)

[​IMG]

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Shiloh,
    These are not penguins, they are an advertisement for Jim Crow whiskey, I have to find my book with the maker.
    greg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  3. spirit-of-shiloh

Thank you Greg, I was just going by the seller calling them penguins. Their pointed beaks are weapons,LOL. I like crows and ravens better.;)

4. gregsglass

Hi,
    I think it was Old Crow whiskey made by Jim Crow.
    I love all three birds. I have an albino blue jay which looks just like a white crow that comes to my feeder.
    greg

5. gregsglass

Hi,
    It is a Libbey piece, I think the Rock Sharpe company mold.
    greg

6. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

This is a Libbey piece, note the No-Nik edge, for which Libbey bought the rights. Libbey did not introduce this cocktail, many don't have the fire polished edge. (I can't remember who originated it.)

One more thing, Rock Sharp was a cutting house, they didn't make glass, may not have had molds.

7. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Without checking I would look at Morgantown.

8. spirit-of-shiloh

Thank you all :)

"Rock Sharp was a cutting house"
    Cherryhill, I had a cutting horse,a Doc Bar mare,bull dog build. I sure miss her. :arghh: Pic 1988. phpb6v0piAM.jpg

9. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Sometimes our fur kids are more important to us than most people.

10. spirit-of-shiloh

Well I found a Morgantown top hat glass and a rooster glass so I lean towards that brand. Still searching:)

11. spirit-of-shiloh

12. spirit-of-shiloh

You are correct :) I just found this,thanks you so much :)

Appropriate stemware if you have ever had to eat crow. Also good for Old Crow whiskey for Father’s Day!!!
    http://neneunique.com/appropriate-s...so-good-for-old-crow-whiskey-for-fathers-day/

1960s OLD CROW Whiskey Rocks Glass LIBBEY Figural Stem Crow Bird Top Hat Tuxedo

https://www.etsy.com/listing/172221425/1960s-old-crow-whiskey-rocks-glass

13. spirit-of-shiloh

Greg, you have an albino crow??? OH you need to snap a pic of him :)

14. gregsglass

Hi Shiloh,
    It's an albino blue jay but looks like a crow. With no coloring I can not tell if it's male or female. When I was 10 I had a pet crow. he fell or was tossed out of the nest when he was very small. I hand raised him for month and let him go. As soon as he would spy me in the morning he would come and land by me and caw. Followed me for the summer and then was gone for a couple of weeks into Sept. Came back a few times during the winter and then was gone.
    greg

Pat P and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Crows are scary smart.

16. gregsglass

Hi,
    When I was in South Plainfield I had a crow that used my one bird bath several times a week. He/she splashed almost all the water out. I swear I said to him/her you need to start paying me for the work. The next week I found a new golf ball in the bath and then a couple of quarters. I laughed and told him it was okay BUT if he found a Rolex it would be welcome. lol I love crows
    greg

17. spirit-of-shiloh

I love crows and ravens, I had a pet crow too as a babe,many years ago. He was very smart.His name was Edgar Alan Crow :p

Up here in the desert we just have ravens,I rescued a couple with broken wings,they too are wonderful.

I never saw an albino jay? I did see an albino sparrow once but by the time I grabbed my camera he was gone. No digital cameras back in the 70's.

I also had an albino pea hen with red eyes. She only lived about 5 years:(

I rehabed several barn owls about 5 years ago. Here is a babe then all grown up.:)
    943475_590807480943533_139068208_n.jpg

264363_590807534276861_1817861591_n.jpg

Messilane and say_it_slowly like this.
  18. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

One Christmas I did a homemade outdoor display which included wrapping and tying bows around empty food boxes of all sizes. DH and I were returning from home from errands one day and at the beginning (road end) of our driveway a large crow stood in the way of our car proceeding down the driveway toward the house. He delayed us and delayed us and delayed us some more by walking down the middle of the driveway. DH even beeped the horn a few times but the crow would not let us proceed down the driveway. Finally, as we inched closer and closer toward the house he flew up and let the car proceed.

When we finally got to the house we saw what he had been doing. He had been appointed "sentinel" for the other (4, 5, 6) crows which had been tearing open the "presents" to get the crumbs left inside the boxes.

Apparently K. . .'s Corn Pops crumbs were the treat of the day for those rascals.

19. spirit-of-shiloh

One day there must have been 80+ ravens circling over our front yard squaking. My BF went out to investigate and saw a raven hopping in the grass dragging a trap around on his leg. :arghh: It was small and circular,and the other end had a piece you drove into the ground. A cat or dog could have fallen victim to it.

Anyway, he finally caught the bird,opened the circular jaws and the raven flew away, then a minute or so flew back and landed on the wishing well squacking as if to say thenk you. Then the flock few away. They are so united in their colonies. <3

20. spirit-of-shiloh

This is a raven we rescued with a broken wing. He/she now lives at a raven preserve. This raven in the tree lives here all year round and has 2 to 3 babies each year in the pine tree. 10259924_782703481753931_3096001191578469059_n.jpg
    10300625_782701365087476_4115771401681216217_n.jpg

Ravens usually migrate South to warmer climates. Also humming birds but we have a few hummers that also winter in our pine.

Draft saved Draft deleted