Stendig Chairs, Looking for information and history on these. Thanks!

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by petronm20, Feb 11, 2020.

1. petronm20

petronm20 New Member

I have 10 Stendig Chairs, they all appear to be the same but the differ a little underneath the seat. I thought they all were "Andover" chairs but only one has the Andover sticker, they may have fell off all the other as it seems all the stickers are peeling a little. Just trying see if anyone might be able to confirm what type of Stendig chairs these are and when they might have been made? I noticed one style says Stendig with a NY address and the other says Stendig NJ address. Trying to figure out why they appear the same with subtle differences has been boggling my mind, haha. All I could come up with was one style is older than the othe r...maybe? Thanks in advance for any information. Not to much info out there that i can find on Stendig chairs so some history or information about them as a whole would also be wonderful!

This is type I have 6, the bottoms are different and the dots on fabric with this one is very pinkish or salmon where the other one has darkish red dots. The dots are not faded on either they are clearly different "the way i see it".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the other type which I have 4, it has darkish red dots all the wood is the high glossy like finish where the other uis glossy everywhere but the bottom. These seem more rounded on the bottom but that may just bee the extra gloss finish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of this company, but would love to see the chair(s) itself.. Hard to get a feel for what it looks like from these wonderfully detailed shots. Is it an "Arts And Crafts" style? I see the fabric looks to be in excellent condition, it doesn't look faded at all to me.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. antidiem

Welcome to the forum, Petron!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Agree with Antidiem, we need pics of the whole chair. From what we have the construction looks 80's/90's, and made in Italy so probably an Italian design? Stendig was an importer/retailer. Sounds like there are two slightly different styles (show that in your pics too); could be the buyer needed a dining set of ten so gathered up the similar ones that were in stock at two different retail stores.

p.s. The name is on them: Andover. There are some at 1stdibs: https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/s...ing-chairs-david-allen-stendig/id-f_17299902/
    Designed by Davis Allen in 1983, with other information in the link. In case you aren't familiar with 1stdibs, be cautious that prices are MUCH higher there than you can normally sell anything for.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Christmasjoy and antidiem like this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

7. petronm20

petronm20 New Member

Thanks guys, very informative. Can't seem to find any places with realistic prices for these, what do these chairs realistically sell for, they are good overall condition not great. I am sure some of the smudges where i see them would clean up.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

then make up your own prices that you are comfortable with....;)

9. petronm20

petronm20 New Member

Any suggestions? Not very versed in the furniture world? Either way I appreciate the help, Thanks!

10. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Wow, Really? Jeff Drum & Fid both established your chairs were designed in 1983, a whole 37 years ago, and you come to "Antiquers" to ask about them. Then you have the audacity to make such a statement? SMH

11. antidiem

OP has not shown us what his chairs look like..

12. komokwa

Jeff did....fid did..

13. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

14. lizjewel

Double, I tried to remove it.

15. komokwa

You can EDIT a double....& just leave it the way you did...... no worries !!

lloyd249 likes this.
  16. lizjewel

I tried that, too late... ;(

17. petronm20

petronm20 New Member

I was replying to the last message about selling 6 of them asking if anyone might know what would be a reasonable amount to ask for 6 of them, not in general. I do appreciate all the information provided about these chairs, I learned a lot. By "
    Not very versed in the furniture world?" I was referring to the value, not the history or identification.

18. petronm20

petronm20 New Member

I just realized there was not a full picture of what they looked like, I posted photos of what i thought would help the most. My fault. Here is a full photo of the chair.

00R0R_hRNXdx2IydS_1200x900.jpg

19. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

If you DO check on Ebay, be sure to scroll down and check the SOLD box, as that will give you a fairer idea of value, as those are asking prices!!

James Conrad likes this.
  20. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

This isn’t really a site to determine values of items. What people try to do is try and direct you into areas of information to help you which is what they have done. Prices of things vary too much and can depend on where you are in the world.

Draft saved Draft deleted