Featured Step Back Cupboard Butternut age

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by annea, Nov 13, 2019.

1. annea

annea Member

Trying to date this antique step back cupboard. I am estimating around 1830 to 1850 from the hand cut dovetails on the drawers, screws that appear to be early machine made?, they don't seem to be uneven enough to be hand made, we are guessing. Has hand planning on the back side and drawer bottoms and square nails. Does that sound right? A heavy piece to move. The lady I purchased it from said it was made of butternut, with walnut knobs. Wondering what part of the country this may have been made in? Would the style be considered Quaker? I don't see many of these "blind door" I believe, type cupboards online as most have glass doors on top. Any info. on this type of cupboard would be great to know.

Attached Files:

cxgirl, Joe2007, James Conrad and 3 others like this.
  2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Hey Annea!

Nice job on the analysis! Butternut is a type of walnut. Based on your description, you're in the ballpark on date. Here in my part of the U.S. Midwest, a cupboard like this would probably have been made by someone of German descent, either an immigrant or a first generation citizen. Very nice!!

Figtree3, cxgirl, i need help and 7 others like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Stepback cupboard, typical mid 19th century panel construction. It's a blind door cupboard, considered not as desirable as a glazed cupboard or cupboard top with glass doors.
    Drawer boxes were handmade until 1900 so yes, that sounds right to me.

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

@James Conrad I have a long line of Quaker ancestors, but have never heard of "Quaker style furniture." My Quakers came from England, not Germany. Have you ever heard of a style attributed to them?

6. annea

annea Member

Here is a photo of the drawer dovetail and peg on the side also. Forgot to mention that doors and sides have wooden pegs on them.

Attached Files:

KikoBlueEyes and James Conrad like this.
  7. annea

annea Member

Came across a somewhat similar simple style cupboard online that was listed as a "Quaker Style", so from that wondered about it.

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Online listing information needs to be confirmed from other sources, not just other listings - and this goes for every type of thing, not just furniture. That why I asked James - our resident truly antique furniture expert. He'll know for sure.

9. James Conrad

Yep, Quakers were from England, not Germany is my understanding as well. The Amish were Germans i think.
    The only furniture that has a religious style attached to it is "Shakers" that i am aware of.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Figtree3, Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. James Conrad

Yeah, i am goin with Bakers on this one, there is no "Quaker Style"

Bakersgma likes this.
  11. James Conrad

Don't be fooled by marketing language like "Quaker style" or by trying or implying a "blind" cupboard is rarer or more valuable, it isn't. Glass doors are more valuable for obvious reasons.

Bakersgma likes this.
  12. annea

annea Member

So glad to have this forum to learn much from. What style would you consider this cupboard to be? Anything that the dovetail and peg photo reveal on its make? Was purchased in IL, but wondered if it could be from another part of the country or likely from the Midwest. Could it be a German made Amish cupboard or? Thank you for everyone's help on this.

Any Jewelry and James Conrad like this.
  13. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Stylistically this appears to be very similar to furniture that the Amish craftsmen are still making in Northern Ohio and Eastern Pennsylvania. Obviously many of the small independent furniture workshops use modern techniques but the style is similar. My parents furnished their home with Amish-made furniture over a decade or two and much of it is still in remarkable condition even after lots of use.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  14. Ghopper1924

In mid-Missouri there's no doubt that this would be German. People may be confusing "Quaker" with "Shaker," which has a recognizable - and very pricey- "look."

This step-back does not have that look, but it could easily have been made from St. Louis to Boonville, Missouri - and in plenty of parts of Illinois - by Germans ca. 1840.

15. Ghopper1924

James...."our resident truly antique furniture expert" :):)

Bakersgma is the best! @Bakersgma

Bakersgma and James Conrad like this.
  16. James Conrad

Yes, i think that's right, it even rhymes :happy: but there is no mistaking Shaker pieces from all others. It is the only truly 100% American designed furniture, everything else we borrowed (or stole) from others.:hilarious:

Ghopper1924 and Bakersgma like this.
  17. annea

annea Member

Thank you so much all of the help with my questions on this cupboard.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  18. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Late to the party but agree with most of what has been said. I do think c. 1850 and Midwest in origin. I am thinking birch rather than butternut for this. Looks a bit "white" to my eye for butternut, nor does it have quite the right figuring to the grain. Here is a good example of a butternut cabinet.

[​IMG]

19. annea

annea Member

Interesting to hear and see this cupboard of butternut. The lady I purchased my cupboard from said that she was told the wood was butternut, (with walnut knobs) when she had bought it years ago, so that is what I was going by. Now I am wondering if it is that or birch as you are thinking.

Figtree3 and James Conrad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted