Featured Sterling Art Deco blister pearl necklace?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Elen Beattie, Dec 4, 2021.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Hi all! It's been a little while since I've posted, hoping your wonderful brains can help me out. I have been buying more from auction houses recently and getting interesting things! This necklace was listed as "Art Deco" and a blister pearl with abalone colour (!), 19.5"L. I'm curious to know if you think it is as old as the 20s/30s and is it a blister pearl? In my experience the consigners etc. aren't always accurate in their descriptions! It is a very pretty necklace. Thanks everyone :happy:

Image - 2021-12-03T155911.434.jpeg Image - 2021-12-03T155846.778.jpeg Image - 2021-12-03T155841.672.jpeg Image - 2021-12-03T155908.259.jpeg Image - 2021-12-03T155857.014.jpeg Image - 2021-12-03T155901.194.jpeg

dude, LauraGarnet02, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like a shell blister rather than a blister pearl. The process is similar, the mollusc feels a grain of sand or other pollution against it's skin, and begins to produce extra nacre.
    The difference is that with a shell blister you can't see something that looks like half a regular pearl against the shell, only a 'bump'. With a blister pearl you can see a distinct edge around the blister, which defines the outline of a pearl.

It looks like the pendant and the chain are a pretty marriage, they have different marks.
    The clasp is unusual on a chain. It is usually seen on pearl (bead) necklaces. Maybe also a marriage?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  3. Any Jewelry

dude, NewEngland, reader and 4 others like this.
  4. Elen Beattie

5. Any Jewelry

You're welcome, Elen. Good to see you posting again.:)

dude, NewEngland, reader and 3 others like this.
  6. Elen Beattie

I read the article and I must say my head is spinning a little trying to get my head around the info, think it is too early in the morning for me :joyful:. Very interesting read! Would you say it's an older piece?

dude, reader, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

I know! And when you think about it, it is all the same effort by a little creature to protect itself from harm. The fuss we people make about differences!:rolleyes::hilarious:
    I would, but it is difficult to say how old. And we could be talking about three different periods, for pendant, chain, and clasp.
    Let's wait for the others.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    dude, reader, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I remember necklaces that had this type of clasp on the chain being quite ordinary in my childhood & probably for some time before that. I liked them because little hands could work them & I did not need help putting the necklace on or taking it off.

I agree that the chain & pendant did not start life together & can't use one to date the other.

9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Just looking at the pendant, not the chain, looks kind of like an artisan piece that could have been made at any time at all. I would guess vintage at best. It's an attractive piece and although chain may not have originally been sold with it, seems to work nicely.

Any Jewelry, dude, reader and 2 others like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Same here. The chain is straight vintage. The pendant? Not horribly. I'd be guessing 1990s and maybe a little later.

Bronwen, dude and Elen Beattie like this.
  11. Elen Beattie

My goodness, I wouldn't have guessed the pendant was that modern. Thanks!

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and dude like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted