Featured Sterling bangle Australian(?) mark H&S STG. SIL. Age and maker please.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Any Jewelry, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

upload_2018-4-7_13-15-0.jpeg

Hi everyone,
    This is what I know so far:
    This was bought secondhand ca 1980 by a dear friend as a birthday present for me. I think he bought it here in the Netherlands.
    Silver bamboo bangles were made from the Aesthetic Era till now. So far hard to narrow it down. I saw one like mine, made in 1900 in Birmingham.
    The STG. SIL mark is generally associated with Australia and New Zealand, but seems to have been a silver mark in the British Territories. Again, an enormous range of possibilities.
    Given the Aesthetic style, I would think one of the territories where British culture was dominant. Which brings us back to Australia and New Zealand. I think Canada had different marks by that time.
    It is not a Chinese Export Silver mark.
    Any ideas? I would also like to know the name of the manufacturer, H&S. @pewter2 ? @Shangas ?

Details:
    upload_2018-4-7_13-28-38.jpeg

upload_2018-4-7_13-29-25.jpeg

Finding size number, to match different parts?
    upload_2018-4-7_13-29-55.jpeg

upload_2018-4-7_13-31-1.jpeg

Thank you for looking.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's a lovely piece, sorry I cannot help with the mark.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Googling " H&S STG. SIL" more or less suggests Oz or NZ,
    Googling images brings me back to your pics on our forum :D

My mother had one similar in 18k gold, many years ago.

4. pewter2

pewter2 Well-Known Member

Hello Any Jewelry...not much help here , don't know the mark...certain this is 20th century, made to a popular Victorian bamboo design. One of my interests ( and naturally Mrs pewter2's) is Georgian and Victorian jewellery (we spell it this way ), and sometimes I may be able to help on older items.....regards ....Pewter2

5. Any Jewelry

It's those bots again.:hilarious: Thanks Davey.
    Beautiful, I wouldn't mind a gold one.:)

6. Any Jewelry

Thank you @pewter2 , I would have thought 20th century as well, earlier on maybe, when Australia and New Zealand were still British territories.
    In school in Sydney I was told Australia became a Commonwealth in 1891, a Federation in 1901. Was it still considered a British territory after that?

7. pewter2

pewter2 Well-Known Member

Hello Any Jewelry....(can't get used to spelling it like that). Yes we are still part of the British Commonwealth and at the moment we are holding the Commonwealth Games in the Gold Coast ..in Queensland, where all Commonwealth members are participating....we are currently running 1st. England 2nd.......a lot better than our performance in the Winter Olympics. We departed Sydney many years ago and are happy living in country/ provincial areas of the country. ......keep your feet dry over there ....regards ...pewter2

8. Any Jewelry

I usually spell it jewellery, unless I am lazy, which I guess I was when I registered.;) Just AJ is fine though, and easier.
    I actually meant the Commonwealth of Australia, but I can see why you would think the other one, with the Games on the Gold Coast. I know about those, watched a bit on the BBC in the beginning to catch a glimpse of the Gold Coast. I was there on a holiday in the early 70s, and my niece worked there a couple of years ago.

You live in a very beautiful part of NSW, you lucky people.
    Feet are dry, we are above sea level here in the Dutch deep south, unlike Holland (west coast). Nice and sunny here in the Netherlands, 36 centigrade on my roof terrace (in the sun). I got my natural vitamin D for the day.:happy:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  9. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Can not help, but I like it.

10. Any Jewelry

Thanks pearls. I love it for the bamboo symbolism (graceful resilience), and as a memory of my friend, who passed away last summer.

And thank you @antidiem too, of course.

11. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

may the bots be with u who know maybe they will help u with the bangle some how, good luck

12. Any Jewelry

Thanks. Those bots have to be useful for something, don't they.:droid:

judy, antidiem and Christmasjoy like this.
  13. Old Jeweller

Old Jeweller New Member

Made in NZ by H&S H as I recall is Harold S is Smythe, They were top manufacturers of bracelets, yours was called Bamboo Style. They were in business for many years from the 50's as I recall but not now. Your bracelet is one of the best

14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've had some Australian silver medallions with H&S on the back. Can't recall who that is offhand.

Any Jewelry, judy and i need help like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Oh wonderful, thank you very much @Old Jeweller for your info, really nice to finally have the riddle solved.

antidiem and i need help like this.
  16. H&S is Hurst & Sons in NZ, They are still in business, still family owned and have been since 1961.
    Harold Smythe was a guy who worked for them

17. Any Jewelry

Wonderful, thank you @Another Old Jeweller , and welcome to the forum.

antidiem likes this.
  18. Elizabeth Baird

Elizabeth Baird New Member

I have one exactly the same which actually says “Made in New Zealand” along with the other marks. The clasp design is very distinctive and I have not found any other bamboo bangles with it except yours and mine. My mother bought it in the 1970s, and I recently cleaned it up to sell it on Trade Me.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2023
    moreotherstuff and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Thank you Elizabeth.
    Great to know, so mine is probably 1970s as well.

20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Love bamboo silver items. These have always been a favorite but not sure they'd be comfortable to use.

Debora

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 1.20.45 PM.png

Draft saved Draft deleted