Featured Sterling brooch blue stones

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by billyd3us, Mar 10, 2020.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

F40F3B65-ADD1-4CA0-A073-AC48A9D514F2.jpeg ACD39EB0-5BB9-44AE-A313-68F16412C48A.jpeg ACD39EB0-5BB9-44AE-A313-68F16412C48A.jpeg 0C1F257C-1263-439F-BE6F-3DAD180F7AD0.jpeg Hello everyone, I traded one of my cheap $10 coins for this brooch and 2 other necklaces. Does anyone know who what where when this was made?

thank you
    Billy Davis

stracci, Any Jewelry, KSW and 2 others like this.
  2. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Hi Billy!
    The brooch is pretty typical of those produced in the 1940s, but I have no idea who may have made it.
    I would make an effort to replace the pin, the corrosion is so severe that I don't think it could be restored enough to be usable and also the "pointy end" seems to be broken off. If you could find another brooch with the same or close length pin assembly on a junk table, you may be able to salvage the mechanism. It would require soldering the "new" pin and hinge to this one, or if you are not up to soldering, you may be able to revive the hinge on this one with a brass bristle brush, open the hinge and install a new pin.
    Good Luck!

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Seconded. It could be WWII vintage, but the style looks later. They started making costume out of silver during the war when they couldn't get brass. Some companies kept doing it for a while afterward. There's no way to know whodunnit. You can replace the pinstem with impunity.

stracci and Sandra like this.
  4. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

Hi and thanks Sandra, I scraped the hinge and pin, looks good now

Sandra likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted