Featured Sterling Corgi bowl? Trophy? What?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Bookahtoo, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

This belongs to a friend of mine. He got it during a cleanout and has no information on it.
    The piece measures about 9 inches across, is hollow, and the only mark I see is 925. He brought it to his jeweler who said it was sterling.
    I am baffled by this thing. It sits flat. The finishing on the bottom is crude - it makes me think that it was originally mounted on/in something else. I thought of a trophy or award of some kind - that could explain the absence of information about the maker, etc. Maybe that info was on the base. Also, the inside has this odd texture. Possibly it came with a glass insert?
    He wants me to sell it on ebay, but I won't until I know what the heck I'm selling.

DSCN6502.JPG
    DSCN6500.JPG
    DSCN6486.JPG
    DSCN6487.JPG
    DSCN6489.JPG
    DSCN6497.JPG

2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

The screw that doesn't appear to attach anything is odd, too. I agree with you that it was probably the top of a trophy base and all the info would be there, but you'd think the manufacturer would have put something on this part.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Bookahtoo

Hi Bev.
    That's not a screw - I believe it's a plug. I showed it because it was cut off unevenly and I wanted people to see that the finishing was kind of sloppy.

4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

It seems to be in a square depression. Still odd. I did a quick search for Corgi trophies and nothing came up that looked like this. We have friends who own corgis exclusively. I can ask them if they've ever seen anything like it.

5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I thought someone was bowling using Corgis!!!!
    :wideyed::eek::rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  6. Bookahtoo

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Very odd. When you say "hollow" you mean the dogs are hollow?

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Bookahtoo

Bev-

That depression does look square - maybe it's a punch mark from where they tapped the plug in?
    Yes - please ask your friends! :)

9. Bookahtoo

I mean the whole thing seems to be hollow. I don't know how they make sterling hollow ware - I thought this was an example?

10. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

:)

11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Never seen anything similar. Hopefully someone will recognize.

With the 925 mark being sort of lower exterior of the piece, on the outside above the base (as shown in the 2nd to last photo) I wonder if helps with dating at all. I could be completely off, but seems like older pieces tended to be marked like this, as opposed to on the bottom, although hollow is a bit uncharacteristic.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  12. Bookahtoo

Should I be looking more carefully for seams on this?

13. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I would polish it to see if any marks show around the edge of the bowl.

What ever it is - it is very well done. The details of the faces and fur are nicely executed.
    This deserves to be cleaned and polished.

14. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

I'm guessing that maybe it's electroformed ... like something that this company would make (not saying that it is from them ... just the first example that I found)
    http://www.caspi-silver.com/

tyeldom3, KingofThings and Bakersgma like this.
  15. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That's my guess too, Quirky. Italy even has special marks for "things" with a "silver" skin over resin base.

Book - what is it about your bowl that makes you say "hollow?" Sound when hit? Weight?

16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've seen modern Comyns stuff like this.Filled silver.

KingofThings likes this.
  17. Bookahtoo

When you tap it with your fingernail it sounds hollow. It definitely does not have a structure inside supporting it. I just got home with the silver polish. I'll go polish it - although I have to warn you, I'm not very good at it for some reason.

SBSVC and KingofThings like this.
  18. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Book, I have looked & looked at these Corgis, thinking that they remind me of something...

It finally occurred to me that they're sorta/maybe/kinda/a little bit like some sterling-clad bird figurines I have. As far as I know, both of mine shown are from Langford, made c. late 1980's/early 1990's:

DSC06095.JPG DSC06096.JPG DSC06097.JPG

The taller bird is 2" tall; the shorter one 1 3/4".

Maybe?

19. Bookahtoo

I guess they could be....but they feel hollow to me.
    The jeweler apparently said they were not "weighted", and I am assuming he'd know if they were cast or shaped over something.
    I have a decent jeweler next door to my store. Maybe I'll bring this to him if it ever stops snowing.

yourturntoloveit and SBSVC like this.
  20. Bookahtoo

I've polished this twice:

DSCN6517.JPG

It's still really tarnished! I definitely DON"T know what I'm doing!

Draft saved Draft deleted