Sterling Cufflinks Mark Help

Discussion in 'Silver' started by cxgirl, Jul 30, 2016.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have 2 pairs of sterling cufflinks but having trouble finding the marks.
    #1 is a cloverleaf with the letter 'C' inside.
    #2 I have no idea - I thought is was damage but since it is on both in same spot it must be the marker mark.
    Any information appreciated.
    thanks for looking.
    DSC08730.jpg DSC08729.jpg

2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

here is the 2nd set.
    DSC08738.jpg DSC08739.jpg DSC08736.jpg

3. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Deleted - Wrong answer. :p

KingofThings and cxgirl like this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Both look like commercial findings,the clover mark may be the commercial seller.#2 the sterling "mark" is hand engraved.Maker's/engraver's mark looks homemade and probably not registered. They could have been made by student/hobbyist or basic bench jeweler.

A larger photo with one of each in it may tell more.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks holly!

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

At the moment the only 4 leaf clover mark I know of is that of Howard Sterling Co. I doubt these cufflinks are by Howard because their 4 leaf clover didn't have a "C" in the middle, and these cufflinks are too recent for Howard because Howard was out if business by 1900 I think. Here are pages with pics.

Need to scroll down near the bottom of the page. 3 of their marks are pictured. Do note one of the marks has "Sterling" circled around the 4 leaf clover.
    http://www.925-1000.com/ax_howardRI.html

Here is a query/info about the Howard company on the 926-1000 silver forum. The 6th pic shows their 4 leaf clover mark. Do read the reply posted by Cheryl on that thread. Her reply is the 2nd one up from the bottom. If she sees this query, she may chime in here.
    http://www.smpub.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000076.html

--- Susan

cxgirl, Bakersgma and KingofThings like this.
  7. Ladybranch

The maker's mark on the 2nd set of cufflinks appears to be a shirt stud. Larter & Sons of NYC used a shirt stud as their trademark. again not sure if these are by Larter because your cufflinks may be too recent??? I have two 14K gold with diamond spring-loaded studs by Larter that date from 1905-1920. They were my father's. They probably came in a set of 3.
    Top of 2nd column
    http://jarrett.fabpage.com/jewelrytm12.htm

I have the following info about Larter & Sons in my database with the gold & diamond studs:

Larter & Son were noted for their men's accessories. "Larter & Sons was founded in 1865 and made distinctive cufflinks, dress sets and gentlemen's jewelry during the late Victorian era and first few decades of the last century." From the Larter & Son website: "The Larter & Sons corporation originated from the company Larter, Elcox & Co., which was founded in 1865. Larter, Elcox & Co. had an office location in New York City on Maiden Lane and a factory located on Parkhurst Street in Newark N.J. The business developed enormously under the management of Frederick H. Larter, who in 1905 bought out all interests in the firm and formed a partnership with his sons, then changing the company's name to Larter & Sons. In the early thirties, sales manager George A. Schuetz, Sr. bought a majority interest in the company. Under the continued leadership of George Schuetz, the company continued to grow throughout the next few decades." According to the above history, Larter didn't adopt the name Larter & Son until 1905.
    http://www.nationaljeweler.com/independents/2071-us-manufacturer-lartersons-has-shut-down

--- Susan

Edit: forgot to insert zoomed in pics of the trademark.

CufflinkMk-combo.jpg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  8. Ladybranch

cxgirl likes this.
  9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The OP's mark is very different from the Larter mark.A good closeup and in focus photo of the OP's cuff link would probably show it.

10. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

They both look like pretty standard mid 20th century 'hand-engraved' cufflinks, can remember us kids giving my father a similar set with a tie bar in the early to mid '60s. The 4-leaf clover mark is not Howard, no reason for them to have a 'C' (Susan, the response on SMP was not made by me, apparently just some random 'Cheryl') - and while I see the resemblance to Larter's 'stud' mark and it was still in use mid-century, don't believe it is Larter. Used to do a good business in cufflinks, but don't find many anymore - personally not sure these warrant a lot of research, though curiosity is always a factor for me...

~Cheryl

Figtree3 and cxgirl like this.
  11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thank-you ladybranch for all the information! Wow, that is a fabulous marine life buckle in your second link:)
    Thank-you dragonfly! I thought with them being marked I should give it a try to id them but agree they probably aren't worth more time looking :)

12. Lil Nicky

Lil Nicky New Member

I also have a set with the clover! Having trouble finding info on them!

Draft saved Draft deleted