Featured Sterling enamel spoon Paris... maker's mark a lyre?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Lucille.b, Jul 24, 2022.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Any help with the maker of this spoon? Recent estate purchase, some enamel missing but still pretty cool! Signed sterling with a Lyre-like mark. Any thoughts on maker?

but1.jpg

but1d.jpg

but3.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, Lucille, love that plique-a-jour butterfly.
    I think I've seen that lyre mark before, but I'll tag @DragonflyWink for you.:)

3. Lucille.b

I was wondering if I should call this plique-a-jour. Thank you. :) I guess a mix of plique-a-jour and enamel?

but9.jpg

but4.jpg

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

judy, Lucille.b and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. Lucille.b

I'll check. Thanks, Bakers!

judy likes this.
  6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Love the butterfly - I actually had one like this on my watch list a couple of years ago, but went for more than I was willing to give. It's almost certainly German, and I took a while to respond because I've never seen one marked 'STERLING' or with that mark - they are typically marked '800 DÉPOSÉ'. They're found with several different finials and bowls, and as souvenirs of a wide variety of places, but almost always share the same stem, which, for some reason always has green enamel - the plique-à-jour has a somewhat matte surface, unusual in spoons, but seems a bit more common in jewelry (shame about the damage, but the butterfly looks good). Sent me off in a fruitless search to find the owner of that 'lyre' mark, which seems familiar to me too, some of the German jewelry manufacturers made souvenir spoons as well, so maybe one of those, just don't know...

Here is my 'Milano' spoon by the same maker, with an enamel palette-shape finial and a full plique-à-jour bowl:

spoon-plique-a-jour-milano-1 (1).jpg

spoon-plique-a-jour-milano-5 (1).jpg

~Cheryl

7. Lucille.b

Wow, Cheryl. Amazing you were able to find one with the exact same stem in your collection. Thank you for the info. :) I was happy to find this Paris spoon, even with the damage.

pearlsnblume, kyratango, judy and 3 others like this.
  8. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

It is sweet piece, damaged or not, wish I knew that mark (just noticed the enamel looks black in my crummy pic - it is green)...

~Cheryl

kyratango, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted