Featured Sterling Guilloche Enamel Stopper

Discussion in 'Silver' started by SBSVC, Jan 14, 2019.

1. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I have not been in the habit of buying ANYTHING of late, since I still have waaaay too much stuff already. That said, I saw something on eBay, not ID'd correctly, and for $10, I simply HAD to buy it. I am a huge fan of guilloche enamel on sterling, and I recognized this for what it was.

Anyway, this was described as a “crystal cruet with crystal and porcelain stopper”. No one else bid on it. It arrived today, and I polished up the stopper a bit. I do not believe the stopper was ever meant to go with the cruet/"jug" that came with it:
    img0 (3).jpg
    The bottle is ground for a stopper, but not for this one!
    img0 (7).jpg

So, here's the stopper:
    img0 (8).jpg
    img0 (10).jpg
    I love the little bluebirds - and the enamel has no damage at all.

There are markings on the silver, right where the top meets the crystal. I can make out the word STERLING, but not the rest of it - perhaps a letter R(?) followed by something - and then something else [maybe even another elephant(!!??)]

I must have taken 20 photos, trying to capture that mark, but this was the best I could do:
    img0 (11).jpg

Does anyone have any input about the marks? Or about the piece itself? I would love to know more about it.

Thanks so much!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    stracci, Figtree3, judy and 11 others like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I see R then P

The stopper looks like it went to a perfume.
    The cruet is EAPG period.

judy, kyratango, SBSVC and 3 others like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

Oh and I think the stopper is 1930s - 50s

judy and SBSVC like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

buy the glass...get the stopper..............I like yer thinking !!! :hilarious::hilarious:

judy, Any Jewelry, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's a pretty, pretty thing.

Debora

kyratango, SBSVC and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Could you do a little pencil rubbing on a piece of paper and get a few more letters? I see what looks like an NIR near the end of the word.
    Patd

judy, kyratango, SBSVC and 2 others like this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

But a very interesting longshot, INH! Whatever it turns out to be, it looks double-struck.

9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

It's Blackinton - you should find some similar with quality glass bottles by Hawkes, etc.

~Cheryl

10. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thank you ALL, very, very much! I knew I could count on you!

Cheryl, Blackinton completely makes sense - especially now that I can compare the actual mark to the one online! (Yes, I really was beginning to see elephants! The power of suggestion, and all that.)

Oh, my, cluttered - I hadn't even thought about that! Do you think I should post it on the Pottery/Glass side of things & ask if anyone can help ID it?

Thank you, once more - every single one of you who replied! I think my $10 was well spent.

Figtree3, judy, Any Jewelry and 5 others like this.
  11. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

12. clutteredcloset49

Certainly looks like it.

13. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Cool! I was surprised that I found it!

It's not worth much, I know, but since the only other EAPG I have - that I know about, anyway - is a Bryce Higbee child's set (ID'd here, some time ago) I felt great satisfaction in finding this one myself!

Thanks again, Cluttered.

14. clutteredcloset49

You're very welcome. I'm glad I was able to help.

15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Of course you did!:playful:
    It is a sweetie.

16. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

AJ, I don't even know WHY I was looking! I am so NOT in a buying mode these days. I don't even recall exactly how I came to see it, but I guess it was simply meant to be!
    Aaargh... Now I must find the perfect perfume bottle for the stopper - and the right stopper for the cruet!

kyratango, Figtree3, judy and 4 others like this.
  17. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

judy, SBSVC and i need help like this.
  18. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thanks, Peggy! That would certainly look VERY pretty! (I think I just have to be careful to get one that's tall enough to accommodate that long dauber!)

judy and i need help like this.
  19. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

How long is it?

You also have to make sure it will fit the neck of the bottle.

Also what is the measurement across the top?

I have several bottles hanging around here that are in need of a stopper. Maybe one will work for you.

SBSVC, Figtree3, judy and 1 other person like this.
  20. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thanks so much, Peggy! (Sorry, I missed your post when I was online earlier today.) If you happened to have the "right" bottle, I'd be happy to buy it from you!

The dauber end is a smidge under 3" long, and it's 1/2" wide where it attaches to the glass stopper piece - the part that sits below the enamel/silver top.

That glass piece (the stopper) obviously needs to sit inside a bottle. It tapers from 3/4" across at the bottom, to 7/8" across at the top.

Thanks for checking for me!

komokwa, Figtree3, judy and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted