Featured Sterling paste swallow pins

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by i need help, Aug 9, 2019.

1. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

89BF14EA-8731-4764-9774-151FD1B9F69B.jpeg FD8EBAEC-8259-4C2F-8E06-00CAA7B076EB.jpeg 43AE0094-3A94-4917-B7D0-E26843F42AC2.jpeg Hi Everyone,
    I didn’t believe these to be Sterling at first, even though they’re marked. A few pastes missing. :( I guess it has some gold plating or such, but there looks to be some reaction in the photo showing Sterling mark. Anyway, the eye is some enamel not stone. Roll over clasp. Would they be 1940ish? Thank you for looking. :)

Figtree3, James Conrad, judy and 6 others like this.
  2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Pretty teenie weenie birdies !:)
    40s seems old to me, I think the rhinestones would have been set, not glued then, and if they are a pair (and not two individuals together), i’d expect differences in pose or size to be harmoniously worn together:)
    Not fully awake now, waiting for others opinion:yawn::)

Sandra, judy, Michael77 and 2 others like this.
  3. i need help

Ok, Thank you. :) Très Bien!

Michael77 and kyratango like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

WWII would make sense for a date; US costume makers could get silver when they couldn't get brass. Brass and lead etc were all used in the War effort. Silver wasn't, so sometimes you find costume pieces made of sterling from that era and a bit later.

KSW, Houseful, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  5. i need help

Thank you! @evelyb30 :)

KSW, kyratango, judy and 1 other person like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Two facing in the same direction would make sense if you wore them together on the same side, like on a lapel. That 'one side' style was also worn in the 30s and 40s.

KSW, kyratango, judy and 1 other person like this.
  7. i need help

Thank you, @Any Jewelry ! It didn’t make much sense to me why there were 2 the same. :)

KSW, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  8. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

If you google "scatter pins," you'll find a lot of two piece sets with identical pieces and a lot with slightly different pieces.

Figtree3, KSW, Houseful and 3 others like this.
  9. i need help

Great, Thank you, @Jivvy :)

KSW, Jivvy, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Pretty little things! I'm not sure whether they are swallows, but that does as well as anything else. They might even be "fantasy birds."

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted