Sterling Pendant w/ tiny cameo, a few questions.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Hello.

I wondered about age of this pendant (20's-40's?) and also whether there was at one time a backing to the piece. I assumed it was just sort of open style, but noticed little extended areas on each side of the frame, possibly intended to hold a backing of some kind in. Has anyone ever run across a similar piece?

Thanks!

cam1.jpg cam2.jpg

cxgirl and lauragarnet like this.
  2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

It's very cool - Reminds me of antique - 1910 New York manufactured brass or gilded jewelry I've seen that are very layered and dimensional, and looks like several differently made and textured components.

I love the girl - her hair and the dark circles under her eyes. Judging by her fashion, she could be much older than the other pieces.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it looks like a ...jeweler...hobbyist.....took a sterling frame and created his own unique work of art.
    The grapes, cameo, and wire, seem to be at odds with and roughly affixed to an elegant frame.

scoutshouse likes this.
  4. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

genuine antique steampunk :)

lauragarnet likes this.
  5. komokwa

In a way...ya....kinda ...

scoutshouse likes this.
  6. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I "think" I see the four metal "extensions" which look like they would hold a backing inside the frame.

Also, being ever practical, without a backing the "open" spaces in the pendant would show the material (and its "pattern") of any dress or blouse worn under the pendant.

Just picture that pendant with no back(ing) and how it would look on a "busy" small-print paisley/fine-check/herringbone tweed, etc.

In my mind and to my eyes it would "destroy" both the "look" of the dress/blouse and the pendant. ;)

Bless Patty, I am soooooo practical I get on my own nerves.:rolleyes:

scoutshouse likes this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I agree that it looks best with no backing, I like when a pin shows the color of the fabric. It never occurred to me that something might be missing, but when I took the photographs noticed the (...just thought of a word) "tabs", and wondered about it. Maybe it is one of a kind.
    Thanks, everyone!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    scoutshouse and yourturntoloveit like this.
  8. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

You wouldn't wear this with a "busy" pattern.

9. komokwa

There are six.....you missed the ones at the top and bottom.

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They did make similar things back in the 30s/40s, but generally didn't mix metals like that. It looks like it was made of pieces all the same age, but that probably didn't start life together. It could be by one of the 1960s hippie silversmiths out in San Francisco. I wouldn't wear that on anything busy either; it would just get lost.

11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'll bet it had a large, carved glass piece in the center and it was repurposed, as said, in the 60s. The cameo itself looks older.

Draft saved Draft deleted