Featured Sterling Silver Birmingham Card Case. 1885.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Shangas, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I shan't say what I paid, but suffice to say, this is without a doubt, the cheapest sterling silver card case in the world.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    XMAS 1888 (despite the date, it's actually from 1885). Initials are L.M.L, I believe.

You may notice what appears to be a small crack near the hinge. As the case is reinforced by the lip that runs around the interior of the edge, I don't think it's in any danger of further damage.

[​IMG]
    The detail is just stunningly beautiful.

[​IMG]
    D&LS = David & Lionel Spiers.
    (I) = 1885
    Anchor = Birmingham
    Lion = Sterling Silver.
    Monarch's Head = Duty Mark (pre-1890).

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Lovely -- thanks for sharing this!

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Very nice!

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Shangas

I didn't take any before-and-after images (because I never expected to get this involved in it), but I was rather successful in hammering out the large number of dents in the underside of this silver case.

I'm still not sure why this case was this cheap. It was either because of the teeny teeny crack, or the dents. The crack is reinforced by the rim of the case, so that's no problem. And the dents I managed to hammer out, so that's no problem either.

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

You meant to say ' least expensive ' .....right?
    Or did you really mean that this lovely antique silver case is in fact just CHEAP ?
    :bigtears:

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Shangas

Cheap, least expensive, cost the lowest amount of money...whatever. Considering what these things usually go for, I almost got this for free.

Jen and George and KingofThings like this.
  7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I love the design on it, and the fact that it was given as a Christmas present... although it was made three years earlier. :)

9. komokwa

Well that's great that you paid a small amount for this item........
    but ....ummm......' whatever ' ??

Maybe it's just my love of the english language....but for me cheap items are of poor quality.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I see we have all had our cup of *picky-snark* this fine Sunday Morning. :)

11. komokwa

nice of you to weigh in!;)

KingofThings likes this.
  12. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

For me, the dents and dings old things pick up just make them better. I've been known to pick up plated baby cups because they were all dented. The dents show someone cared enough about the family/original owner to keep it around despite the wear and tear.

14. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Yeppers!!!! :)

15. komokwa

You should see the car I'm driving.....:blackeye:

KingofThings likes this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Or the pile of dents with the rust holding it together that used to be a car? :cool:

17. Shangas

You don't have to worry. I couldn't remove all of them, but I like my antiques to be in the best condition possible. I didn't want it to look as if someone had sat on it - which they probably did.

And I still maintain it was cheap. If it was poor quality I wouldn't have bought it, and it obviously isn't. If it was I would've said it was shoddy or whatever. But yes, it was very cheap. Or inexpensive. Or far below the retail price. Or without the undue expense of a large sum of legal tender, on the part of the purchasing party.

I still can't believe it. The guy I bought it from (who by the looks of things, dealt in antique silver), must've known what this is and how much it was worth. And yet he was virtually giving it away.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    Bakersgma and Messilane like this.
  18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hm. I think I need to start selling silver smalls to Oz.

19. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

>I think I need to start selling silver smalls to Oz.<

:hilarious:

20. Shangas

I don't really see what's so funny about it, but...okay. Maybe someone can explain it to me. The only 'smalls' I'm aware of are what's in my wardrobe.

I filled up my two cases with cards.

Draft saved Draft deleted