Featured Sterling Silver & Glass Scent-Bottle (?) (B'ham 1923)

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Shangas, May 25, 2017.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

This was the other thing I won, along with the big silver basket thingy...

18622118_1919732161618594_7768753952604649108_n.jpg 18670877_1919732194951924_6140043804807529632_n.jpg 18698423_1919732168285260_3698608058647579265_n.jpg 18699919_1919732184951925_2591909902953144506_n.jpg

Hallmarks date it to 1923 and I think it does look somewhat Deco. I'm not sure what this is, though? It looks like it's for perfume or scent or smelling-salts or something? I'm not entirely sure!!

Also, I believe the 'halo' on the top of the bottle is intentional and was part of the design.

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Traveling perfume bottle; it came out of a VERY nice ladies toiletry set in a fitted case. That's engine-turned enamel on top, i.e. guilloche. The silver cap kept the glass stopper from loosening up or falling out.

scoutshouse, komokwa, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Shangas

That much I had surmised on my own, I just wasn't sure what it held or where it might've come from. There's still a strong scent of whatever was originally inside it!

scoutshouse and judy like this.
  4. evelyb30

It wasn't made for any one particular perfume, but I'd go take my sniffer to a Guerlain counter and whiff my way through. They still make and sell most of their perfumes from back then. Matsuoko and Shalimar are my personal faves; the first one is WWI-era and the other is from the 20s. They still make some of the ones they had in the 1880s/1890s.

5. silverthwaite II

silverthwaite II Well-Known Member

Now there's a nice wander, Evelyn!

And Shangas, if it is a very strong, and not sweet, scent, it may have been for smelling salts. Bless them! Mine came from Yardley, and got me through all my pregnancies.

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I do love older perfumes. The more modern celeb ones always seem far too harsh, fade down to blech and are very one note, not complex. I'm a bit if an Hermes fan, but Guerlain is lovely. Although, I adore Cabotine by Gres.

scoutshouse likes this.
  7. silverthwaite II

silverthwaite II Well-Known Member

I'm a one-noter myself, but I do own a bottle of a lovely complex scent from Floris. It was a gift, and came without a name. :(

Now how does one get more?

My grandmother was fond of mostly light, flowery colognes. Her dressing table contained Violet Sec, Red Rose, Muguet du Bois, with a small bottle of Tweed, and another of Bond Street. One day, when I was watching her dress, it suddenly dawned on me that she matched her scents to the color of her clothing! However, "What goes with Bond Street?" said I.

"Fur," she said succinctly.

judy, scoutshouse, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

@evelyb30 Did you mean Mitsouko? That's my personal fave. First bottle was a Christmas gift from my Dad.

scoutshouse likes this.
  9. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

What a lovely, feminine images. You are inspiring me to go try out these scents. Not sure where to go to begin the sampling.......

scoutshouse likes this.
  10. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

For me, it is and always has been Chanel No. 5.

(What is it Chanel says? It's more than a fragrance. It is an olfactory heritage...)

p.s. Shangas, Cheryl (who posts here as dragonflywink) is a resident expert on guilloche enamel. If you have any questions about your bottle, you might want to send her a message!

judy and scoutshouse like this.
  11. evelyb30

That's the name; I spelled it the way a friend's daughter spells her name. To find all the old ones you either need an old-school parmfumier or a really good department store. Nordstrom or the like, not Macy's. All they sell are a few chestnuts and the latest celebrity why-bothers. I don't really wear perfume any more.

12. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

What a pretty bottle, shangas!

My favorite is still Jean Patou 1000 <3

Givenchy Le De was my first adult perfume... it was discontinued in the 80s.

After reading about a reissue on a flight back to SF, i got off the plane and went directly to Saks perfume counter where they had no idea what i was talking about.

I wrote to Givenchy - they sent me a bottle of eau de toilet and nice letter thanking me for my loyalty. I still have both, but use the parfum i buy on ebay.

I recently came across Caron Bellodgia, which I love.

Perfume is love :)

I wish you could post a picture of her, silverthwaite...

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    judy likes this.
  13. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I collect the old perfume atomizers & the Czech cut bottles, but none are ever used for perfume. :confused:

I have been wearing Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps since the mid 1970's when I received a bottle for my birthday from my sister. Over the years I have tried various scents, but have always gone back because everything else smelled too heavy to me once I sprayed it on my body. :p:rolleyes::rolleyes::happy:

judy likes this.
  14. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

I LOVE L'Air du Temps - but it does not love me back. Sad, really :(

Anyone remember the Body Shoppe essential oils mixing counter? China Rain was my fave, there.

judy likes this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

you gals not the only ones who like to smell sexy.......
    the only 2 on my shelf....
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    And the gals all snuggle up for a sniff !!!!:playful:

judy likes this.
  16. evelyb30

I was wont to blend their tea rose with the sandalwood. If I could find a perfume with nutmeg oil as the base I'd have to buy/wear it, but they no one's been smart enough to make it as far as I can tell.

17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Trouble is, they reformulate these things. L'air du Temps got ruined, as did Je Reviens and Madame Rochas.

18. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

:cigar:I always used the Halston 1-12 which was discontinued and replaced by the Z-14. The 1-12 was a much more manly smell than the Z-14. Luckily I managed to pick up a couple of the 1-12 which should last until they plant me. :dead:

judy likes this.
  19. Melissa Brown

Melissa Brown Well-Known Member

I found this sweet thing last week in one of the boxes I'm going through. Looks like the same maker as yours. I ID'd it as Guilloche. This one is about 3" tall. The enameling is beautiful! IMG_7473.JPG IMG_7476.JPG

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  20. Shangas

I do love me some guilloche enameling. This is my pair of ca. 1890 opera-glasses.

I show people my fancy brass binoculars? Meh.

I show them my mother-of-pearl opera glasses? Whatever!!

I show them the cute miniature ones? Eh.

I show them my telescopes? Pfffft!

I pull these out?

[​IMG]

So far, I've had at least half a dozen people try and buy them off me!! LOL.

judy and Melissa Brown like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted