Featured Sterling silver pendant Edinburgh 1735?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Any Jewelry, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Help on this wee Scottish sterling silver targe pendant is very welcome.
    I can't believe my eyes, the marks are worn but I read them as Edinburgh (ok so far) with an italic F for 1735 (?). Am I right? And can anyone indentify the maker?
    The diameter of the targe (Highland shield) is 2.5 cm/0.98".
    Thanks for looking.

DSC07636 (436x640).jpg DSC07632 (480x640).jpg DSC07634 (640x420).jpg DSC07635 (640x427).jpg

2. CGB_Spender

CGB_Spender Member

Hey AJ!

That is really cool. I could only dream of finding something this nice. I am sorry that I can't help with telling you anything about it but I did run the images through some filters to try and bring out some detail in the markings...hopefully it might help someone who knows something more about these.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Take care from Australia!!

Jason.

3. Any Jewelry

Hi Jason, thanks, it is much more defined now. Big help!
    The pendant was my mother's. She bought a lot of jewellery, a family tradition for many generations;). My sister-in-law is Scottish, and we often visited her relatives in Edinburgh as well, like an extended family.
    But I have a sneaking suspicion my mother bought the pendant somewhere on the Continent, she recognized the targe, when others might have thought it an insignificant little pendant.

4. CGB_Spender

CGB_Spender Member

My pleasure, I would like to try and help where I can :) Knowing now that the pendant was found by your Mother is even better, I like the thought of these kinds of things staying within the same family. I know I have things from my parents that I will never part with. I hope you can find out some more about it after all these years.

cxgirl, Joshua Brown and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Certainly looks like 1735 year letter.

hm.PNG

cxgirl, Joshua Brown and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

I thought so. Could it be fake? Not that I can see any sense in putting fake marks on something so small.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Letter looks right. I think the bale is a replacement.

kyratango likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Yes, it is one of those run of the mill clip-on things, sterling. The chain is also not of the period, also sterling.

kyratango likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

I'd assumed the chain was new, indeed.

10. Any Jewelry

My mother bought it in the 70s, the chain could be 50s or 60s, but that doesn't mean anything valuewise.

11. Ownedbybear

One thought on this. It had serious symbolism at a time when things Scots were being supressed. It's almost certainly a Jacobite protest emblem - a thing worn in secret, which would have got you imprisoned if discovered. You might contact the Museum of Edinburgh or the National Museum of Scotland. Another possibillity is the auction house who sold this lot: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/c...e-rebellion-memorabilia-at-lyon-turnbull.html

Aquitaine, Figtree3 and judy like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

I suspect it does have something to do with Highland-Jacobite identity. I don't think it is a strongly Jacobite symbol though and the prohibition of Highland dress etc. was only after the '45, if I remember correctly 1746.

13. Any Jewelry

14. Ownedbybear

The formal prohibition was indeed later, but Scottish symbolism of any kind was very very frowned upon. It took Victoria's sentimentality for all things Hibernian to reverse it and that was over a century later. I do think this is a Jacobite emblem. If it is, the value is disproportionate to the size, to say the least.

15. Any Jewelry

Any ideas?
    And could I sell it to Nicola Sturgeon:D?
    I've been humming Jacobite songs, I am inspired now.

SBSVC likes this.
  16. Ownedbybear

17. Any Jewelry

Thanks Obb. Isn't that Anita Manning's place? Lovely, I like her. I hope she likes my pendant as much as I like her.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  18. Ownedbybear

It is indeed, and she gets very good prices. I think it's the sort of thing she'd love.

19. Any Jewelry

I sent in a valuation request to Anita's team.
    Jason, I added one of your pictures, thanks again.

CGB_Spender likes this.
  20. Ownedbybear

I'll be interested to see what they say.

Draft saved Draft deleted