Featured Sterling Silver Pot/Jar - Birmingham, 1913.

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Shangas, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Picked this up today:

[​IMG]

Great for puttin' your peppermints in:

[​IMG]

When I bought this, it came with a couple of nasty dings in it - one on the edge of the lid, and one on the bottom side of the bowl.

Luckily, I was able to, by using objects of the right size and shape - beat the dents out again, until they disappeared and the spots were smooth again! - I was very pleased with the results!

Then I just gave it a scrubble with silver foam and the results are as you see there.

SBSVC, wenna, quirkygirl and 2 others like this.
  2. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

That's really pretty.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  3. Shangas

Thanks! :) It's a lot prettier, now that I was able to remove the dents!! They were right in the corners, which made them particularly tricky to access, bad enough with this thing being ROUND!!

Fortunately, I had something small, hard and round which was just the right shape and size to bash the dents flat again and get everything smooth. I tried a variety of objects until I settled on the pestle from my mortar and pestle:

[​IMG]

The wide, curved end of the pestle was perfect for hammering out the dents!

4. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

I keep things in my box for such jobs, I have a tiny little toffee hammer, really handy, I keep eyebrow tweezers in there for fiddly jobs, I even keep inter-dental brushes fer getting dirt out of tiny crevices, Anything I find that works really.

5. Shangas

My toolbox is filled with all kinds of things! Old chopsticks, a cheap ballpeen hammer, a brass jeweler's anvil, dental picks...the list goes on and on and on. The strangest things can have the most amazing uses!

Poisonivy likes this.
  6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I have cattle rib bones for removing dents in silver. I rub rather than hammer. The thing about bone is that it does not scratch the silver.

Aquitaine and yourturntoloveit like this.
  7. Shangas

Where possible, I pressed the dents out, simply by pressing the silver onto the object and forcing them out, but one of the dents was quite sharp. Whacking it out was the only way to remove it. I must say, I'm very pleased with the results! This is the...third or fourth silver item I've repaired by removing dents.

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

very pretty box . I sold most of my silver bits when the prices were at peak , and while I did very well profit wise , I miss them like crazy ! Though not polishing them .

SBSVC likes this.
  9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Johnny,
    Just send them to me, I love polishing silver. I'll send them back nice and polished. I have several neighbors that send over their silver to be cleaned. It is funny but the older the silver, it does not tarnish. I have several silver tongs from 1790 and 1810 that have never been polished and I have candlesticks from 1990 that need cleaning every week! They are stored in the same cabinet. Funny that newer silver needs polishing more often than much older stuff.
    greg

johnnycb09 likes this.
  10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I only kept a few of the smaller things Greg , but I would have gladly taken you up on it when I had a lot of it ! I agree about the older silver , I thought I was the only one that noticed that !

gregsglass likes this.
  11. Shangas

I love polishing silver. I love polishing brass, too. Once polished, I've never had silver tarnish. But then most of my silver is antique.

...wonder why that is...?

12. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Shoot, Shangas... I don't mind polishing SILVER, but I absolutely HATE polishing brass!

My husband claims he was a right hand at brass polishing during his days in the military, but he has yet to display his brass-polishing skills at home!

Almost all of my brass is in storage boxes in the attic right now. I'm honestly not sure if I got tired of it, or if I'm just tired of polishing it! (And, by the way, I'm not a fan of shiny brass, but I DO like it to have a nice glow!)

13. Shangas

I LOVE polishing brass!! I do it all the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted