Featured Sterling Silver Repousse Bowl/Cup (1895 & 1787)

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Shangas, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I purchased this today at auction at a pretty damn good price. Just my luck - nobody else wanted it, and I managed to win it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The hallmarks are:

LEOPARD'S HEAD = London
    LION PASSANT = Sterling.
    U = 1895.
    C.S.H. = Charles Stuart Harris.

As you may have noticed, there's also a coin set into the base. I researched this and found it to be a GEORGE III sterling silver shilling, from 1787.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness, what a lovely little bowl/cup.

I'm just curious but . . . was it a live auction or an on-line auction? Have you dealt with that auction house/site before? Were there any other bids at all? Did the auction house play up the "coin" aspect?

Inquiring minds and all that. ;)

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  3. Shangas

Yes it was an actual auction HOUSE. Nobody else wanted it, which I was rather surprised at - it's really cute! And no, no mention was made, whatsoever, of any sort of coin. I suspect that's why nobody was interested in it.

BTW - I just sold it :p I doubled my money.

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

My problem is if I liked it enough to buy it, I could never 'Flip' it!!!! That was YUMMY!!!!!

5. Shangas

It is very cute. If I ever see another one, I'll probably keep it.

The guy who bought the bowl also bought four silver napkin rings and a silver pillbox, so I'm pretty happy with the sale. Almost $400! :p

Aquitaine, SBSVC and yourturntoloveit like this.
  6. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Shangas, I'm just curious... Do you have a shop, or where do you sell?

7. Shangas

Hi,

No I don't. I sell through facebook and various other online methods. Why? You want to buy something?

I only do this as a sideline or hobby. Finding work is a pain in the ass, so this is the only way I make money.

Aquitaine likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

So, inquiring minds are curious.......is facebook or any of the other 'online' locations readily available, or posted???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

We are being the Lucky Country this week, Shangas. A Sydney thrift shop produced these teaspoons yesterday (George V silver florins commemorating the opening of Parliament in 1927) for 50c a pop. Happy days. P1040811.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  10. Shangas

11. CheersDears

I thought you were in Australia and was merely crowing over another little bargain buy downunder. But sorry if I spoke out of turn.

12. Shangas

You were talking about spoons and there weren't any in your post, until you edited it. I had exactly 0 idea what you were talking about.

13. CheersDears

Ah ha! That's a worry. Well there they are. Not as snazzy as your purchase but still quite an exciting find at a usually very dreary op shop.

14. Shangas

I have found silver in my local opshop. One silver porringer, two silver napkin rings, one pair of opera glasses, various pieces of brassware, and other antiques. They don't come in often, but when they do - you gotta pounce fast!

CheersDears likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted