Sterling Silver Shoe Horn - Possible Age and Origin

Discussion in 'Silver' started by KikoBlueEyes, Dec 18, 2019.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

The shoe horn has sterling stamped on both sides of the handle, but no makers mark. The horn is plate. There are initials on one side. It has an older feel. Do the pictures give any clue as to the age and origin of the shoe horn.
    This picture is the same shoe horn but the link doesn't work. The narrative calls it Victorian. [​IMG]

Also this link is to a similar piece in that it has a ball at the intersection of the handle and the horn and the poster said it is dated 1913. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/97/92/c1/9792c1c01d90f3672fc6468765e0ce3c.jpg
    Any comments will be appreciated. IMG_4717.JPG IMG_4718.JPG IMG_4721.jpg IMG_4711.JPG IMG_4712.JPG IMG_4713.JPG IMG_4715.JPG IMG_4716.JPG

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

9187C429-6FDA-4968-872F-0F21A455A853.jpeg

This link is not opening.

3. KikoBlueEyes

We found this one at the same time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I edited the original post, but didn't use a screen shot. :):):)

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

It’s near impossible to track the maker when it’s just stamped Sterling. But maybe someone can find it.
    I like the design very much! :)

5. KikoBlueEyes

I'm hoping someone might know too. Regalities, the company that posted the matching piece, still sells antique jewelry and collectables. I tried a search for shoe horn but got nowhere. I thought it was pretty too and there it was all tarnished with a $3.00 price tag on it.

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Besides the lack of maker's mark, vanity tools were often not associated with a flatware pattern and their own designs were not named (and I suspect not identified by design "name" in any patent paperwork to protect the design.)

Christmasjoy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

Since patterns and patents help to date an item, do you think this is a hopeless cause? How about continent of origin. Is this expressed someway in the design?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

doesn't everyone have one of these....my Dads is somewhere around the house...of course i kept it cuz of the sterling handle...but never did him use it..:(

kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Well. I didn't, but now I do. :)

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I don't think I would say "lost cause" so much as more challenging than many others to find. You've got to find others with the same design and hope that someone else has found supporting clues for a stab at maker and date.

The shape of the handle has enough "close similars" from US makers to assume it's one of ours. plus the "sterling" stamp.

komokwa and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

You are wonderful. This will help. I spend a lot of time searching before and after I post something, so I can offer some clues and take advantage of the kindness of members who take the time to post their insights - like you. Thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted