Sterling US Pilot Wings

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Barn Owl, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I purchased this as part of a lot. I'm trying to figure out the age. What do the numbers on the back mean? I haven't had any luck researching the pilot.

IMG_8000.JPG IMG_8001.JPG

Joe2007 and Michael77 like this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I would imagine 44-B is for the 44th bomb group of the 8th air force

Michael77, Barn Owl and i need help like this.
  4. Barn Owl

Fantastic, thank you! How did you find this? I searched his name on Google, to no avail.
    Awesome, thanks!

Would having this inscription add to the badge's value?

Michael77 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. sabre123

6. sabre123

National archives.

Having named items from WW2 is always better, in terms of value. I never researched Pilot's wings to see what they bring. If they were an officer, probably command more $$$.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yes it would....but also a start towards getting this back to his family...

8. Barn Owl

I bought this from a thrift store in the US, so I assume that his family likely donated it...

If it was a Purple Heart or medal, I'd feel differently and try to reunite it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Michael77 and i need help like this.
  9. sabre123

It's a tough call. Some people don't give two S$%s. You could spend countless hours seeking out, verifying, contacting, and delivering/sending items 'back' to someone who sold it, left it for auction, left in an estate, etc.

I see a lot of this kind of thing, including medals, in estate sales by me. It's sad, but you can't save people from themselves.

Joe2007, komokwa and i need help like this.
  10. komokwa

with his name on the back......i would not be so quick to assume that....

but hey...that's just me.

sabre123 likes this.
  11. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I've seen this a lot too. People purchase lots at estate auctions (with photos, important paperwork, and other personal mementos that the family should appreciate) and then they try to return them to the family are met with hostility. One of the times a family member of a deceased gentleman said "that shit is out there in the yard to be sold because I put it there" when questioned why documents with his mothers social security # and other identifying info were in a box lot. Often families are out of state and tell the auctioneer to get rid of it all.

Local coin dealers are often the place where people tying to hawk their families' war medals often turn. I've seen the coin shop owner turning down a sale of war medals on several occasions. I've heard stories of these medals being pitched in the nearest trash can after they leave.

sabre123 likes this.
  12. sabre123

True, Komo. Like I said, it's a tough call.

komokwa likes this.
  13. komokwa

It is....& I respect both sides ....;):)

Joe2007 and sabre123 like this.
  14. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

As someone who is a Returner of Lost Family Items, I will say...

1) Just because one family member got rid of it, doesn't mean another family member wouldn't kill for it.

2) Finding the family member to return an item to is time-consuming work that no one will reimburse you for (and it is often fruitless).

3) I think there is zero obligation on the part of the purchaser to return lost family items. Zero.

Bakersgma likes this.
  15. komokwa

number 1 is a good enuf reason to try ! :happy:

16. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

No, it's really not.

And I say that as someone who has spent hundreds (if not thousands) of hours in similar pursuit.

To my mind, the ONLY reason that is a good enough reason is if the person doing The Work finds value in The Work.

Because, in most cases, you will do The Work and not find anyone who really truly cares.

I like research puzzles. So "returner of lost items" is a good match for me.

But don't count it among my "charitable deeds."

Bakersgma likes this.
  17. komokwa

Oh, Ok, I'm wrong then...

Draft saved Draft deleted