Featured Steuben starfish heavy Paperweight help

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Abraham Gonzalez, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Abraham Gonzalez

Abraham Gonzalez Active Member

5B6A4E3E-1E13-4F28-AABE-F740CFCD0A93.jpeg 132B2CC4-0455-4483-8578-83EAA91132E1.jpeg 792C7652-DACC-40CA-9074-AD441B037834.jpeg 38E6C1FD-51F2-46DB-B536-3531CB49AEFB.jpeg 5B6A4E3E-1E13-4F28-AABE-F740CFCD0A93.jpeg 132B2CC4-0455-4483-8578-83EAA91132E1.jpeg 792C7652-DACC-40CA-9074-AD441B037834.jpeg 38E6C1FD-51F2-46DB-B536-3531CB49AEFB.jpeg Hello forum members,
    I found this gorgeous Steuben starfish paperweight, but after many hours of research, I cannot find anything that resembles it. If anyone could give me some more information that would be great. It is signed Steuben.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Abraham! If you go back to your photos and check box Full size for All Images, it’s easier to view. :)

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's NICE. I don't see any great age on it, my guess would be 1980s or later, but it's really good quality.

4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I agree with evelyb. It's a really sweet piece.

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WOW!!!! I've never seen any quite like it!!!

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  7. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I hate to say it but Steuben creates such high quality paper weights that this doesn't really match the high quality. Someone may have engraved the signature for a funny - I've been wrong before, But signatures don't match

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

you could be right rayo:) I don't know Steuben well enough to say one way or the other.
    If the op contacts the Steuben club they will certainly know.

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  9. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Well also, it might depend on how many were allowed to sign the signature, just another thought.

cxgirl, sabre123, judy and 2 others like this.
  10. Abraham Gonzalez

Thank you all for responding. You guys are awesome! I had doubts about it too but in person it just looks amazing and it’s heavy. It really looks like a high quality piece. I just don’t understand why there isn’t any records for it? Perhaps it could’ve been produced in limited quantities? I’m not sure but it’s definitely an intriguing piece. I appreciate the time you guys took to respond so fast!

cxgirl, sabre123, judy and 2 others like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Abraham.
    It is a lovely piece, and well photographed. Will you let us know what the Steuben club people say?

12. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Isn't the one listed on eBAy the same one? Seems to have the same scratches underneath the mark as on the OP's item...

~Cheryl

i need help and judy like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Different photos though.

14. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

Great eye, Cheryl. That is the same one.

15. Any Jewelry

The name of the ebay seller seems to be Thad (feedback comment), and Abraham says he found it.
    Which could also mean he found it on ebay through the same listing, of course.

aaroncab and i need help like this.
  16. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

About Steuben Quality.......Years ago, when BIN was a new option with eBay....I listed an Alexandrite vase I had, with a BIN which was under $60.00. It was a plain little vase with a paneled design. It was ice cream cone shape with no markings. I judged it to be one of the lesser quality pieces in my collection. I got a bid on it, which in those days, the BIN option would disappear if there was a bid. The next day my eBay "contact seller" folder blew up! A Steuben club member saw the auction and informed me that the vase was a Carder Steuben era Rare Alexandrite vase. He showed the listing to the club and somebody there, taught an antiques class at the local college, and shared it with his class.( probably saying look what you can find on eBay from stupid sellers who don't know what they have! LOL) Long story short......The vase sold for over $700. Anyway, the quality just wasn't there. I asked the club member about that, and he said in a nutshell, that design often overtook quality with Steuben.
    The vase may have been a 2nd, I don't know, but the quality I assumed for Steuben just wasn't there. Since then I have handled a number of Steuben snail handled olive bowls and none of those were the quality I associate with steuben either.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  17. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

I have been following a Facebook group headed by one of the Antique Roadshow glass experts. He just started the group last week and it is in it's infancy but it is already incredibly interesting. Comment was made there concerning signatures at the glass makers and how illegible and sometime varying they could be in the heat of the moment so to speak. If anyone is interested in the group you can find it at the following link. Andy does not want people to post items for ID though. It makes his head blow up....:wideyed::joyful: https://www.facebook.com/groups/468787103603238/?hc_location=group&__tn__=HH-R

18. Abraham Gonzalez

Thank you for all the responses once again! I’m sorry I forgot to mention that I listed it on ebay. So the listing you saw was my listing. It sold and will now have a new home. You guys were very helpful.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted