Steuben Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Savannah 1954, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Savannah 1954

Savannah 1954 Active Member

My Father was an appraiser with the American Society of Appraisers. He left me many items after his passing the January and I wish I had paid more attention when he told me about the items he left me. This vase, I believe he said was an unsigned Steuben vase. There is no marking on the bottom but, I believe he said many had paper labels? Am I remembering correctly? It is absolutely gorgeous and I have found a place to safely display it in my home. Could someone fill me in?

I apologize now for pictures. They are iPhone pictures and I had eye surgery so the good lord only knows what you are getting. I also have not been able to figure out why when you post a second picture, how you turn it upright. They continue to go sideways on me no matter how I try. They are upright in my album but turn sideways when I load the second one up fro my iPad.

3FD8FF0B-FB9C-4B85-B7E3-5539A0A22446.jpeg

I give! They always end up sideways.

Any Jewelry and bobsyouruncle like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hey, Savannah. I saw someone say a few weeks ago, that when you use an Apple device to take pictures, and in doing so you hold the device in landscape orientation instead of portrait, posting the image here is always sideways. Now maybe that is not true, but it's something to think about.

Any Jewelry and aaroncab like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4. Savannah 1954

Hahaha. Oh nooooo. I just took out all the stuff I ranted to post on and guess what? All portrait!

Any Jewelry and bobsyouruncle like this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Looks like an Aurene piece of Steuben ...

although my pieces are all signed ...

yours may be a Durand, they made this shape.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  6. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

love it...would like to see the bottom..looks like Carder gold aurene

cxgirl likes this.
  7. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

cxgirl and bobsyouruncle like this.
  8. Savannah 1954

Bottom of vase

9C6D92DE-C71A-4437-BB7D-9A400880E366.jpeg

cxgirl and blooey like this.
  9. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Looking at the vase again, I do not think this is a Steuben. The shape is a little less refined and the aurene finish seems rather dull - at first I thought it might be gold Aurene over calcite, but I don't believe it is.
    Here is one of my gold Aurene vases, see how the surface differs?

Steuben-Aurene-glass-vase-GL5.jpg

10. Savannah 1954

That actually rings a bell with me blooey. It may be Durand.

cxgirl likes this.
  11. Savannah 1954

I also have some Aurene and they all say Aurene. I will show you some sideways pictures.

AE92DDDC-50A5-4256-AF45-22C79A81C44C.jpeg 45AD04EC-9B18-4373-B739-A55D2CB4082B.jpeg

Any Jewelry, cxgirl and bobsyouruncle like this.
  12. Savannah 1954

13. Savannah 1954

You are right. They are very different. The vase is satin like. I am thinking Durand.

cxgirl and bobsyouruncle like this.
  14. Savannah 1954

100% it is Durand. 1EEB4C85-5A45-4C2C-8889-913C57822892.jpeg

this is not mine. It was on the Internet.

cxgirl likes this.
  15. bobsyouruncle

Gorgeous glass..thank you for the education blooey

cxgirl and Savannah 1954 like this.
  16. bobsyouruncle

Could you please post a picture of the bottom..it’s been a long time since I was in corning

17. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I don't have a pic of the base at hand ATM, however it's a Frederick Carder vase, engraved aurene in script with shape number 2622.

18. bobsyouruncle

Thank you. Mr Rockwell said when he would speak with mrcarder...mr Carder would refer to the aurene as “ smooth as a baby’s bottom”

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted