Stevens & Williams Pink Cased Glass Vase ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Dec 4, 2020.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I fell in love with this vase immediately. I think this is a cased glass vase with an opalescent sheen and a rather big applied flower and leaves. I examined it very carefully with full magnification and light, and there is absolutely no mark on the bottom just a polished pontil, a small deep scratch and some remnants of the top layer. @i need help identified it as in the style of Stevens & Williams, but maybe a Chinese copy. The style is old fashioned, not like modern art glass - at least that I am familiar with. Therefore, I'm thinking it might be an older piece. I don't know. The ruffle on the top is very intricate with a band of pink, then a band of white and a clear pink edge. The back is plain, which from what I gather hints at an older piece too. It is 6 inches tall and 5 inches in diameter across the top. Any thoughts you may have would be appreciated.

IMG_7923.jpg IMG_7922.jpg IMG_7921.jpg IMG_7920.jpg IMG_7924.jpg IMG_7931.jpg IMG_7926.jpg IMG_7930.jpg IMG_7934.jpg IMG_7928.jpg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    judy and komokwa like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I’d say the “Style of Stevens and Williams” I believe there are reproductions from China. I don’t know enough about them to know the difference.

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

Great. I’ll do research. Thanks.

judy and i need help like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

There’s the same one in here, but I don’t have Pinterest, so I can’t open it:
    https://www.pinterest.com/sro622/cased-glass/
    in any case wait for a “Glassie” to weigh in.
    Just to the look, it seems the older ones have more translucent applied elements.

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

Fantastic. So glad you found it. That one has a different arrangement of the flowers and leaves. I clicked on it and it went to ebay with a "they couldn't find it." I'll try there while we wait for the glassies. Thank you. Edit: Here is the one from the Pinterest site. It was attributed to Stevens & Williams - "Stevens & Williams Victorian Art Glass Cased Satin Ruffled Vase Applied Flower"

eabcf5fbbf64aceef4c60d1f4a541a0a.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  6. KikoBlueEyes

@i need help I'll change the title and ask the question.

7. KikoBlueEyes

judy, patd8643 and i need help like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hm. I'm slightly inclined to style, rather than S&W. Flowers and leaves are a little less fine than I'd expect.

i need help, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same about them also.

i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

Cool. I had no expectation either way. I know S&W is from your side of the pond and therefore less likely to show up here

i need help likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

it's still a very pretty thing though.

judy, i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

I appreciate your comments. I love it’s boldness. Thank you.

13. KikoBlueEyes

I think so too. And this has given me the opportunity to explore art glass I was not at all familiar with. A win/win.

14. KikoBlueEyes

Update: I contacted Will Farmer of Stourbridge glass, and he confirmed style versus Stevens & Williams, but also period and likely Bohemian, possibly Kralik or similar. Here are his actual comments:
    "So, the piece you own is period, is original, however sadly is not Stourbridge. You piece is a continental example most likely Bohemian.

The difficulty is that this type of decoration and style of vase are very generic being made across Europe, England and of course the USA. The design has its origins in the European makers of Bohemia who themselves became itinerant works moving across Europe into the UK and then on to the USA taking the style with them. So the style is fairly universal however there are small subtle differences to the style from place to place.

I would say that from the shaping on the petals and the colour variations in the stem it is Bohemian and possibly by the likes of Kralik or similar.

In terms of the value, these have dropped back a little over recent years as the fashion for more modern 20th Century wares has taken hold. That said, its pretty and here in the UK might fetch £30 to £50

I hope that this has been of some help while not definitive."

15. Ownedbybear

Will Farmer is a really good bloke and absolutely knows his glass. They do a fabulous auction at Fieldings every year.

judy, i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

You are so right about that. What a lovely person to take the time to respond.

judy, Ownedbybear and i need help like this.
  17. KikoBlueEyes

Do you know of anyone who has the Truitt Book Collectible Bohemian Glass 1880 - 1940?

judy likes this.
  18. judy

judy Well-Known Member

3rd thread

Draft saved Draft deleted