Stiffel Lamp information

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by majorjette, Mar 7, 2017.

1. majorjette

majorjette New Member

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Rob,
    I think your Stiffel lamp was made after the Stiffel Lamp Co, was sold to a Chicago Company. It is more elaborate and made of different materials. Old Stiffel were made from heavy high quality brass. If my thinking is wrong and can be proved by a different person, I do apologize.
    greg

judy and Rayo56 like this.
  3. majorjette

majorjette New Member

Thank you Greg. It is very heavy and ornate. What year you think? 40s 50s? Value?

4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

It is more elaborate and made of different materials. Old Stiffel were made from heavy high quality brass

Greg, you know, I have always thought the same... I have a few old Stiffel lamps in the attic right now (just got tired of them & decided to let them "rest" up there for a while...) They're all-brass, heavy, etc, etc. They were in my parents' house when I was growing up, so I have a pretty good indication of age.

I just took a quick look around online, and these came up (both of which surprised me.) I don't know whether the dating given is correct or not, but I wouldn't have thought of these as "old" Stiffel:

Claimed to be circa 1930's:
    img0.jpg

http://www.antiques-atlas.com/antiq..._set_of_four_original_stiffel_lamps/as480a982

-and-

Claimed to be Vintage/1950s:
    Stiffel-1.jpg
    http://www.janneyscollection.com/product/brass-rams-head-lamps-by-stiffel-pair/

Hmmm...

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Is there a glass globe at the top?

7. majorjette

majorjette New Member

8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I would say that this lamp is 1960-1970's. The copyright symbol shown on the partial label (c) I think didn't come into use until 1954 if I read that correctly, so we know the lamp must be older than that. The burnt orange color was super popular (late 1960's, early 70's) and the whole look of this lamp just fits that era.

Stiffel lamps are very well made.

The shade looks like it might be original, and the shades were also finely made. You might check the top shade ring for a Stiffel mark. Sometimes hard to see.

Value is tricky. Also this site doesn't tend to give values. Here are a few similar with the orange color at least for comparison on Ebay, just asking price, unsold, yours is a bit different, so hard to say.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monumental-...607792?hash=item2efe47b4b0:g:dOYAAOSw4CFYn4bU

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOLLYWOOD-R...808380?hash=item4b125fb13c:g:gOEAAOxy9X5TYWcd

cxgirl likes this.
  9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I guess my age is showing. Every year from 1955 to 1967 I would purchase a Stiffel lamp to go with my older ones. All of them were brass and one or two would have a white metal pseudo candle light on top. I started to see other metal parts in the 70s. I never saw any wooden parts on the lamps until the 80s. That is why I called them the older Stiffel. The newer Stiffel did not have the weight that that older ones had. The newer ones for sale were cheaper made and did not have the appeal that the older ones had. All the parts of the older ones all had Stiffel labels, the lamp itself, the shade and the electric parts. I hated to see old lamps with new shades. When my shades got ratty or destroyed I always went to a shade replacement place that redid the old shade using the metal frame. It was often cheaper than buying a new shade.
    greg

Jeff Drum likes this.
  10. majorjette

majorjette New Member

Thank you Lucille! Very helpful info every litte piece helps.

11. majorjette

majorjette New Member

Thank you Greg. Very interesting story you must have quite the collection! Ill let you know if i find more about this lamp. Rob

12. majorjette

majorjette New Member

13. majorjette

majorjette New Member

Your right Lucille I found these today.

cxgirl likes this.
  14. FrancesRuth

FrancesRuth New Member

I purchased 2 of these same lamps from a high end furniture store in Binghamton NY in the early 70’s...71 or 72. They were new. Still have them. I, also, would like to know their value.

Draft saved Draft deleted