Stiffel - Pair of Table Lamps

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by KatW, Feb 8, 2020.

1. KatW

KatW New Member

image0 (1).jpeg image1 (1).jpeg image2 (1).jpeg image3 (1).jpeg image1 (1).jpeg image2 (1).jpeg image3 (1).jpeg Hello all, I have a pair of Stiffel lamps with Original shades and am trying to determine the time period of manufacture as well as style. Also, does anyone know what the 3 grooves on the top of the lampshade is for? I appreciate any info you have!
    image1 (1).jpeg image3 (1).jpeg image2 (1).jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

need bigger pics....

3. KatW

KatW New Member

Edited. I'm learning (although it takes me longer than it use to!:))!

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sorry to be a bug.....but could we see the base....please!

Christmasjoy and KatW like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Those 3 "grooves" are the places where the shade would rest on the edge of a glass "difuser."

Christmasjoy and KatW like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Kat - if you had used the "Gallery Media Embed" method to attach your Gallery pictures (as I mentioned in our Conversation), they would be much larger and provide a better view of details. ;)

Christmasjoy, anundverkaufen and KatW like this.
  7. KatW

KatW New Member

Thanks - Now they're super sized! (((Sorry))) - also, the lamps are SO HEAVY! I thought about putting one on the kitchen scale but think it would probably break it!

Christmasjoy and anundverkaufen like this.
  8. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Bakers is correct - so the shade would 'perch' on a glass diffuser.

9. KatW

KatW New Member

Under the felt pad on the base of the lamps, there is no markings (that I could find) they are "silver" colored metal with 1 large hole in the middle and 1 to either side of that. Could be zinc.

10. Bakersgma

I don't think these are Stiffel. Is some part of the lamp marked Stiffel? I'm also thinking that the shades and the lamps themselves did not start life together. There is way too much space between the bottom of the shades the the top of the dark part of the base. Too much of the white "candle" visible.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Stiffel would be embossed some where on the shade metal. Also the fittings when you removed the base would also be marked as well as the electric switch under the base. Stiffel is marked just about everywhere you look. The newer stuff marked Stiffel just would not be as well marked. When the Stiffel company was sold to another maker they started to "cheapen" by using other companies to make pieces for the lamps.:oops::oops::oops:
    One of the best estate sales I ever went to was the original Stiffel house in Paterson NJ. There were so many one of a kind lamps there. I ended up buying 3 one of a kind and 8 regular lamps. I just missed out on buying the dining room table by 15 minutes.:oops::oops::oops: I ended up with two bed spreads which I sold for 20 times the price I paid.
    greg

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted