Featured Still Life Help with Sig - Possible German Artist - Also found a Devil Holding Pitchfork in painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lisa Sadie, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Lisa Sadie

Lisa Sadie New Member

fullsizeoutput_14da.jpeg fullsizeoutput_14d3.jpeg fullsizeoutput_14dd.jpeg fullsizeoutput_14d5.jpeg Hi everyone, I purchased this painting at an estate sale and the lady told me her family had lived in Germany so they probably bought it there from a local artist while visiting or living in Germany.

I was trying to make out the signature shown in pictures. I used a magnifying glass and I am pretty sure the last four letters are:

m a n n

they are the hardest to read but I am not sure what a couple of the other letters are

It is hard to make out the first two letters and did the artist only sign with last name or first and last.

? ? i t r ? m a n n

Also has anyone seen a still life with a devil with a pitchfork in it. I probably had it a year before I noticed it.

The painting has been in a closet for years and I pulled it out to see what I could find out about it. The back of the painting has Maltuch which I believe is a German canvas supplier. Thank you for your comments and help.

2. Lisa Sadie

Lisa Sadie New Member

I think I finally figured out how to size images.

3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Lisa!

Welcome to Antiquers..............

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome, Lisa Sadie. I don't think 'still life' is really the way to characterize it - it's far from still! More allegorical/mystical/alchemical. You have a poor soul (literally) fleeing down a strai(gh)t & narrow road from a clear representation of evil intent on catching him, all emerging from an elaborate - expensive - chalice-like vessel. I can't see the candlestick well, but there's more in the same vein going on there, I think. What is the small pocket instrument: watch, compass, lens? The Chinese bowl also evokes the mysteries of the East. All in all, Dr. Faust's study. Signature is another mystery. I like it. :)

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I like it too.
    The hellish scene has a Jheronimus Bosch feel. Is that a watch in the foreground? Symbol of tempus fugit?
    The last name could be Pyman or Pijman, both versions of a Dutch name (like Bosch). The i and j in Pijman are joined in Dutch.

6. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Could you take a couple more pics of the sig? The glare is throwing me and it's a puzzler, so a couple of more pics couldn't hurt.

I like this piece a lot.

7. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

VERY Interesting picture Lisa !! and WELCOME !!! ... Joy. :)

Bronwen, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The dragon/serpent looks much less subtly done than other areas. Has it been overpainted?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

While you are at it, add in a photo of the entire back of the piece. The more photos the better.

This is a really unusual piece. Hope you can find the artist!

10. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Love this. Also hope you can get it identified.

Lisa Sadie and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

13. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Lisa Sadie and Bronwen like this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The canvas maker is August Schutzmann, a business that started in 1844. A close-up of the logo might help narrow the date of your painting down.

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I knew it had a Dutch look. That cup looks so much like a Dutch nautilus cup, which it is in the original. There is the top quality Chinese porcelain which the Dutch had access to. And of course that much later watch looked out of place, it was originally a valuable lemon from the east. The glass goblet could be Venetian.
    We call this a Vanitas painting, depicting the fleeting and emptiness of earthly life. The more austere ones have skulls and decaying fruit. The message is that even earthly riches are of no value in eternity.
    The Vanitas concept didn't stop the Dutch, particularly the Hollanders, from gathering ever more riches, the greedy so-and-so's.;)

Here are some more of Kalf's still life paintings, and background info:
    http://www.all-art.org/baroque/kalf1.html

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  18. Lisa Sadie

Lisa Sadie New Member

It does have a shiny coating on it so not sure if it is overpainted. Thank you for responding.

Bronwen likes this.
  19. Lisa Sadie

Lisa Sadie New Member

Here are a few more photos. The sheen makes it difficult to get good pictures of signature - even in the shade outside. I appreciate all of your comments. Here is a close picture of the bowl as well. IMG_1873.jpg IMG_1874.jpg IMG_1875.jpg IMG_1876.jpg IMG_1877.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  20. Lisa Sadie

Lisa Sadie New Member

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted