Still Life Oil - Help identifying artist.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Spudnik, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Spudnik

Spudnik Active Member

This is an oil on canvas on board, about 38 X 35 CM.

Just a simple still life with a vase of flowers. Well executed I think. Could use a cleaning :happy:

I read the signature as "A. Baker" with a date of '44 or '42. Not a really distinctive last name, so hard to narrow down who it might be.

There appears to be some writing on the left top edge, I can't read it. I've included a close up of that.

There is nothing on the back of the board, it's blank.

20210121_130733.jpg 20210121_130758.jpg 20210121_130831.jpg 20210121_130856.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

An sweet, honest little thing. I see "A. Baker ' 42" as signature and "Mrs. Baker" across top. Don't know how you're going to get much further than that. You could always check familysearch.org for an A. Baker living in the locale you found it in 1942 but...

Debora

3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Sunday painter this one

4. Spudnik

Spudnik Active Member

Good eye Debora! I've taken a closer look here at it, and I believe you're right. The "Mrs." part is a little bit clearer in person. The top part of the capital "B" in Baker is cut off, and I can definitely see an 'r' at the end of that name. A cursive 'a' is also visible after the "B".

So for now I'll go on the assumption that the artist is female. That eliminates about 50% of the Bakers in the world :happy:.

Draft saved Draft deleted