Featured Stone Carving Help

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures Fancy Endeavours. That's my user ID on eBay now.

Hi! I know it's very hard IDing the type of stone without handling it but if I can get a list of what type of stone this could be by how it looks, that will help to narrow the search down for me. It's an Asian carving, I'm guessing Chinese. True? The two figures in the center are struggling with a fish, one figure on the far right is blowing a horn, the figure next to him has what looks like a stick in one hand and something round in the other, and the last figure on the far left is kneeling and has his left hand down and the other hand up at his right ear. Is this from a Chinese story? Is there a purpose for the shape of the carving? Overall, it measures 6" x 5 1/2" x 3" tall. The opening is about 2" diameter with the interior carved bigger inside. Here are the pictures......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you so much for any help with this!

Juli

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like the alabaster we were talking about on the lighter thread...

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Which thread? I searched for "alabaster" and "lighter" and nothing came up.

Thanks!

Juli

KingofThings likes this.
  4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

5. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Okay, great. Thanks. I'll look around and see if I can find other examples that look like mine. Anyone have any idea on origin, the story, and what function this would have?

Thanks again!

Juli

KingofThings likes this.
  6. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Chinese brush washer.
    I have the feeling it could be Hetian nephrite jade with russet skin. I hope it is old.
    If you are planning to sell it on Ebay, if jade and old, the Chinese buyers will recognize it right away.

lauragarnet likes this.
  7. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Hi, thank you kardinalisimo! That's very interesting. I have a problem listing something not knowing for sure what it is. My description will say all over it that I don't know what it is for sure. If I do that, do you really think the Chinese buyers will bid based on the pictures? Or, is there a way I can find out for sure if it is jade as you suggest?

I really appreciate the help!

Juli

8. kardinalisimo

Is it glassy or soapy/waxy to touch? If the second, probably nephrite. Do you see inclusions inside?
    How hard it is? I don't like the idea of scratching jade with a steel blade but you can try a tiny one. Some say jade cannot be scratched. I'd say that is true for jadeite, maybe, but nephrite is a bit softer. Steel blade in generally would not scratch it but that is not always true. The best way is to do a gravity test.
    I'd list it as ' white nephrite jade' in the title and with " i'm not sure ... etc..." in the description. Maybe add Mutton Fat.
    If you have few watchers within an hour, it is jade:)
    Also, make sure the auction ends in convinient time for the Chinese and US buyers.

lauragarnet likes this.
  9. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Hi, again! Yes, it is kind of waxy rather than glassy to the touch. I did try a little scratch test on the bottom and I did note a light scratch. I had heard that jade will not scratch, so your info is encouraging. I did this a few weeks ago when I brought it home. I cannot find the scratch anymore, but I'll look again with a magnifying glass tomorrow when I have better light.

Well, since I basically got this for nothing, I will probably list it as you instruct. Mutton Fat????? I'll have to look that up! And, we shall see! Thanks again for all your help. Hopefully, it will be a fun one!

Juli

10. kardinalisimo

Let us know how the auction goes.
    If you have a lot of watchers even no bidders, it is a good sign. An item can jump from $100 to $2-3k in the last seconds.

lauragarnet likes this.
  11. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

I will look forward to that! :rolleyes:

Juli

lauragarnet likes this.
  12. komokwa

The most valuable Nephrite comes from Hetian in the southern part of present day Xinjiang Province. It has been mined from the mountains and is found as pebbles in the river beds. The most desirable Hetian jade is translucent and has an oily surface sometimes referred to as "mutton fat".

I would not refer to your item as mutton fat unless you know for certain that it is.

13. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Thank you, komokwa. I'm not going to use the term. I don't want anyone to be misled. I will be listing this today at about 4:00 PM Pacific. I'm starting it at a modest price because, while it may look like a nice nephrite jade carving, I cannot tell anyone for sure that is what it is. Keep your fingers crossed that it does well!

Juli

14. kardinalisimo

Isn't 4pm like 8am China time? Kind of too early.

15. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Sniping is actually a thing of the past for auctions. I rarely have anything sniped on at the end anymore. People who are going to bid, do it when they see the item and, I think they just bid the amount they want to pay and see how it goes. Only a newbie here and there will bid multiple times and at the end.

However, it was still a thought to try for a more optimum ending time. I should have listed it yesterday for a Sunday ending for them, if even that would be a good time?I just don't know what would be a good time to end it for them and for any collectors here. What do you suggest? I can change the launch time.

Juli

16. komokwa

god luck !!

lauragarnet likes this.
  17. kardinalisimo

Anytime is good. If somebody wants it they should wake up and bid :)
    What is your modest starting price?

18. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

I'm starting it at $49.99.

19. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

I've pushed it back to 5:00 Pacific. So, it'll be up there in about 15 minutes.

20. kardinalisimo

Saw your listing. Hope I am not wrong but I still think it is nephrite. The main factor is the age. The only way to figure that is by the depicted scene, style of carving, tool marks etc. Something that I am not an expert into.
    Good luck!

Draft saved Draft deleted