Stone or Resin, Translation Help on Oriental Marks

Discussion in 'Art' started by Mario, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Am seeking help on mark translation and also how to find out if it is resin or stone, tried pin test and did not burn or melt it. Noticed that there seems to be 2 marks on it. Measures 4"H x 4"W. Any help will be greatly appreciated. stone1.jpg stone2.jpg stone3.jpg stone4.jpg stone5.jpg stone8.jpg stone9.jpg stone1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Aquitaine likes this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Using a hot pin is NEVER a good idea!

Aquitaine likes this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Mario, you could go back in to EDIT your post and delete just your duplicates....it would simplify what we're looking at!! There's only a limited number of hours you have to do that in, though!

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Looks like soapstone, rather than resin. With resin, you can often find small bubbles or round pits on the surface, and the base often shows very regular, parallel saw marks.

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

PLEASE do not ever use a hot pin. Why people keep promoting this is beyond me. There are actually very expensive collectibles that will melt with a hot pin and destroy the value. Not to mention if you put a hot pin on some plastics they will flare up in your face. I'm not blaming you, I'm blaming the idiot who thought it was a good idea in the first place. I had two very nice 1930s pieces of jewelry made of vintage plastic. One had been 'tested' with a hot pin. I couldn't sell it even though the damage was in the back. The other one sold for $48. This is why you never ever use something that damages an item in order to test it. There are so many options besides that. Sorry for the rant, but we all need to educated sometimes. (getting off soapbox now)

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Bev,
    AMEN thank you for your suggestion. I am tired of yelling about it.
    greg

komokwa likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

seems , as of late , several folks have tried it...or were about to !
    what can ya do......it's out there as a testing method.....that has gained a lot of traction over the years....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

judy likes this.
  9. prunus

prunus Member

I can read the words in the 2nd photo, but it doesn’t make any sense to me. Also, the lowest one is carved upsidedown.

Draft saved Draft deleted